INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP - Source sample rate and bit depth for DVDs not showing as expected  (Read 1831 times)

batman87654

Hi,

can anyone please shed some light on why when playing a DVD the source sample rate is only 48kHz (should be higher) and why the source bit depth is 32bit (should be 24bit) ?? Completely confused.

When I play CDs it comes up as 16bit and 44.1kHZ, now that is to be expected so that is great. But can't understand the figures for DVD.

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP - Source sample rate and bit depth for DVDs not showing as expected
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:13 am »

DVDs typically have 48kHz Audio. What did you think they have?
For bit depth, if its a lossy compression, it'll be decoded to 32-bit floating point. See this on the Wiki: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth#Bitdepth_of_Lossy_Formats

PS:
Lossy compressions include the common DolbyDigital/AC3 format used on DVDs, as well as DTS, and many others. The only lossless format on DVDs that i know of is PCM.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:12 am »

To complement, DVD-Audio can contain up to 192Khz/24-bits in stereo or up to 96Khz/24-bits for multichannel in L-PCM (either lossless compressed or uncompressed).

batman87654

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »

Thanks very much for the answers. Much clearer now. There's just one thing I still don't get. For a DVD Im playing that is 192Khz, still the source says 48kHZ. I have a capable sound card for this so not sure why? And how about for 96kHZ DTS, does MC17 not support this?

Thanks again

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 01:33:27 am »

Which DVD is it and how do you know its 192khz?

A DVD-Video can have 48 or 96Khz for PCM audio channels, anything else (AC3, DTS, etc) is (or I thought was) 48khz. I had not heard of 96khz DTS before but appearently that is supported on DVD in 2-channels only. I've never seen that being used though and I don't know whether its supported by MC.

Also consider what nevcairiel said about decoding lossy formats. Only (L-)PCM on DVD's is lossless as far as I am aware.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:20 am »

DTS 96/24 Supports upto 6 channels of 96/24 Audio on DVD format but requires a compatible decoder. I know that MC can bitstream it just fine but I can't remember whether it will decode it and pass it on as PCM, perhaps Nev could comment as my system is currently tucked away whilst decorating.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:07:41 am »

Thanks for correcting that. I was actually reading that wiki page on DTS 24/96, but missed the part where it says "prior to ...", interpreting it as only 2 channels were supported.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 06:41:32 am »

If it uses LAV Audio for DVD-Audio decoding, you will need the ArcSoft DTS decoder for 96/24, otherwise you'll just get 48kHz.
96/24 is one of the last DVD profiles thats not supported. That one, and the lossless extension in HD MA.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

batman87654

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:55:53 am »

Thanks all.

Yes indeed it was a 96kHz DVD, got a bit over excited. Well done for still giving a good answer.

And thanks very much nevcairiel, I will have a look at ArcSoft DTS, or maybe MC 18 will support this.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 02:27:03 am »

And thanks very much nevcairiel, I will have a look at ArcSoft DTS, or maybe MC 18 will support this.

MC18 does not improve on this to my knowledge.

Here is info regarding the DTS decoder from ArcSoft:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray#Decoding_for_DTS-HD

It talks about Blu-ray and DTS-HD, but the same concept applies to DTS 96/24.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up