INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serving Library and Music files to a client PC? How to get it to work?  (Read 1363 times)

brucew268

After several hours, I can’t seem to get my server & client to sync.

The server has WAV files in the following folder with subfolders by [Album Artist]\[Album]\ --
Z:\Music CD
And the client has the same local pathway, though empty of files or the artist/album folders. Read/write sharing is turned on for folders on both client & server. Both are using MC 17.0.189 & Windows 7 Home Premium.

I can load the Server’s library in the client and stream, though that is not what I want to do. I can also have the client Main Library import the musics files from the server’s file locations, though that is not what I want to do either… since I want to be able to have the client PC play when offline.

Library Options/Auto Import is not configured, as I assume I want to Sync files, not Import the library (.JMD files).

So in the Client I Load the Main Library (empty) and try to Sync Library to the server, whose network name is \\MEDIAPC.

Computer Location: m01p://\\MEDIAPC [Alternately m01p://<MEDIAPC>]
Options: File Locations: Z:\Music CD
Options: Audio Conversion: Always Convert, MP3, 320 CBR

Nothing happens. No files, no library. No error messages. Just a Sync window which immediately says ‘Complete (0:00)’.

The server is set in MC to authenticate with username & password, and at some point in my efforts the client prompted for the server’s login/password. But has not done so in the last several attempts to Sync.., maybe it only prompted when I Loaded the Server Library locally.

I also don’t understand the relationship of these settings to Tools/Options/Media Network/Client Options (when connected to Library Server). There it additionally has options for Image & Video Conversion, which are not in the ‘Sync Library’ options on the File menu… though the ‘Client Options Audio Conversion’ does not have many of the conversion options of the former.

It seems it should be much easier than this, but I’m running out of ideas. Help?

Bruce

brucew268

Re: Serving Library and Music files to a client PC? How to get it to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:11 am »

OK, after more searching, I found http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Servers which explained that there are different types of servers in MC and that none of them seem to pass actual music files back and forth, let alone transcoding them when doing so.

What I would really like is a feature that would work like one-way Dropbox with transcoding options. Then I could have an MP3 copy on my laptops of my server-based WAV or FLAC files. Music files would automatically push from the server to the client, and then play count and tag updates would pass both ways between the client and server. Of course the tag update could be tricky since the music files on the client and server are in different formats.

So for now I'll have to manually keep my MP3 PC music parallel to the server music files.

...or be able to set a folder on my client PC which is treated as a Handheld device, and have the Handheld Sync feature work on it.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Serving Library and Music files to a client PC? How to get it to work?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »

You can do the handheld sync, using a network path (UNC) as the handheld destination.

You're correct about the stats not being updated between the lossy and lossless - they are different entries in the MC library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up