INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asus Essence ST + H6 and hiss + static noise [Solved]  (Read 11580 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Asus Essence ST + H6 and hiss + static noise [Solved]
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:29:37 am »

Dear everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have the Asus Essence ST + H6 combo in a 7.1 analog setup could help me:
If you turn up the volume of your amp to the calibrated reference level of 83db, do you experience crackling noise and hiss from your loudspeakers?

I have had the issue with the HDAV1.3 Deluxe, which I have returned. Now I was wondering if I can expect the same using the Asus Essence ST + H6.

Best regards,
Mikkel

P.S. Before RMAing it, I grounded the system, connected each chassis to each other, switched computer, switched PSU, shielded internal cables etc. etc.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Asus Essence ST + H6 and hiss + static noise
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:52 am »

Nope. No hisses, cracks or static noise.

Whether I play silence or nothing at all I can start to hear a hum with my ear on the speakers at 4dB, which gets more audible at 12dB (max volume). Normal listening is at -40dB, loud would be -25dB and annoying for the neighbors is -10dB. I never go higher than that.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:49:19 am »

Nope. No hisses, cracks or static noise.

Whether I play silence or nothing at all I can start to hear a hum with my ear on the speakers at 4dB, which gets more audible at 12dB (max volume). Normal listening is at -40dB, loud would be -25dB and annoying for the neighbors is -10dB. I never go higher than that.

Hi "InflatableMouse",

Thank you  very much for your response. It is most helpful. I can understand why you never go above -25. I'm using internal volume though in order to use loudness and with the Asus HDAV1.3 Deluxe I got hiss and static noise at -7db.

I'll give the Essence ST a try.

Thank you again for your most helpful response.

Best regards,
Mikkel

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:16:03 am »

Have you tried to solve your current issues? If it turns out not to be something else you will have purchased it for nothing.

I think there are some folks here who might be able to help you with that.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:55 am »

Have you tried to solve your current issues? If it turns out not to be something else you will have purchased it for nothing.

I think there are some folks here who might be able to help you with that.

Well, I have tried to troubleshoot. This weekend my father-in-law, who is an electronics engineer, will bring an oscilloscope (is that the english term??) and a multi-meter and we will start diagnosing in a more detailed way.

I think some weird loop is going on between my AV-receiver (used as a an amplifier through multi-channel direct mode) and the PC.
When we have done some more troubleshooting the coming weekend I will most definately ask for some help here in the forum (which I agree is a very good place for such support).

So standby for some more details :-).

Best regards,
Mikkel

dean70

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:10:30 pm »

Most likely the power supply in your PC. Could be a device that is introducing noise into the power lines or poor regulation/filtering from the PSU.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:48:38 am »

Most likely the power supply in your PC. Could be a device that is introducing noise into the power lines or poor regulation/filtering from the PSU.

I did try a very good PSU to test it. It didn't change anything. Connecting the headphones instead gave absolutely no noise from the line-outs of the card.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »

I recently picked up an Essence ST and I have a very soft crackling on one channel with my amps all the way up (which is their normal position). The noise changes drastically in volume based on which molex power connector it is connected to inside my case.  With the "worst" power connector (the one connected to a potentiometer adjustable fan) the sound is audible from several feet away in the room, with the "best" power connector (one shared only with a Bluray and DVD drive) the sound is only audible with my ear inside the horn driver.  

The noise also goes away for me when I engage the headphone outs.

I would recommend trying different power connectors inside your case and see if you can find one that's quieter than the one you used previously.  I also tried mine on a different PSU and found it still made quiet crackling on that channel.  If, as you say, there's no change with a different PSU, I would also recommend trying it with a different amp as well (if you have one handy).  One of my amps does not get along well with the Essence ST and produces (in addition to rustling on the affected channel) an impressive ground loop hum, but other amps produce either no hum or a very soft hum.  

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:41:53 am »

I recently picked up an Essence ST and I have a very soft crackling on one channel with my amps all the way up (which is their normal position). The noise changes drastically in volume based on which molex power connector it is connected to inside my case.  With the "worst" power connector (the one connected to a potentiometer adjustable fan) the sound is audible from several feet away in the room, with the "best" power connector (one shared only with a Bluray and DVD drive) the sound is only audible with my ear inside the horn driver.  

The noise also goes away for me when I engage the headphone outs.

I would recommend trying different power connectors inside your case and see if you can find one that's quieter than the one you used previously.  I also tried mine on a different PSU and found it still made quiet crackling on that channel.  If, as you say, there's no change with a different PSU, I would also recommend trying it with a different amp as well (if you have one handy).  One of my amps does not get along well with the Essence ST and produces (in addition to rustling on the affected channel) an impressive ground loop hum, but other amps produce either no hum or a very soft hum.  

Thanks for your input. Interesting suggestion. Once the Essence ST and H6 arrives this week I will try your suggestion. The only other molex being used is for the cabinet fans. I could try and unplug them and see if it cleans up the sound.

Will return to you as soon as I have tried it (sometime this weekend).

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:05 am »

Hi,

Here is the status update. I got the Asus Essence ST and H6 daughter board this week. I have hooked it up and statics as well as loud hiss from the speakers has completely disappeared. If my old HDAV1.3 was defect or the Asus Essence is just much better constructed I don't know.

Anyway, thank you very much for your input everyone.

Best regards,
Mikkel

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Asus Essence ST + H6 and hiss + static noise [Solved]
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:21 pm »

Great news!  Glad to hear it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up