INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surface Pro  (Read 15876 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Surface Pro
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »

I've been using a MS Surface Pro for about a month now.  I've waited that long to write about it because it felt awkward to use and I thought maybe I'd adapt to it.  I've used it as my main machine at home and I took it on a ten day road trip.

It feels less awkward now, but not by a lot.  It's hard to say exactly why, but here a few problems I have with it, not in any order of importance.

KEYBOARD
The keyboard is the touch keyboard, so there is key travel.  It attaches to the screen (computer in this case) magnetically and it's a very solid connection.  You could carry the computer around by the keyboard.  The problem for me is that the keyboard is a little flexible, so it feels like you're typing on pizza cardboard.  And you have to resist the urge to pick up the computer by the keyboard when you stand up.  It won't work.

I also find it hard to type with, even now.  It seems to miss a few characters from time to time.  Not just one, but two or three.  So you have to watch what you type.

SCREEN
The screen has a nice little stand that lifts out from the bottom.  This looks nice if you've got the screen detached from the keyboard and you want to put the screen on a counter, but the angle is wrong there, and it's wrong when it's on your lap.  I often type with the stand tucked away and the whole computer (screen and keyboard) laid out flat on my lap.

The Shift key is shifted to the right of where my right little finger wants to type, so I've developed a kind of awkward claw position to use it.  

There are function keys, but you have to use the Fn key to get them.  Functions like volume up, or volume down or pause play have precedence.  They are the default, just the reverse of what I'm used to.

MOUSE
It's a mouse pad, and it works well enough, but I often hit it with my thumb while I'm typing and this puts the cursor somewhere else on the screen.

PORTS
There is only one USB connector.  It's not enough.  No Ethernet port.  No VGA.  There is a small port that I believe is mini HDMI, but I'm not sure.

WINDOWS 8
Metro makes sense on a touchscreen.  It's nice.  I like it. But I find myself having to hunt for things a lot, even after a month of using it.  I may get used to it.

The touch screen is great.  I like it a lot.  There are a lot of times when just reaching for the button is faster and easier than using a mouse.  I switch back and forth without too much trouble now.

Copy and paste is a little tedious with touch.  You first touch the position where you want to begin or end.  That puts up two bubbles, next to each other.  You then touch the same spot again and drag left or right.  It works, even pretty well, once you get used to it.  

Right click menus can be accessed by touching and holding.

I think touch screens are here to stay and will become standard equipment on most computers.

SWITCHING APPS
Where Windows 7 and below allow you to click on a window and bring it forward, Win8 wants you to use touch.  This works well once you learn how to do it.  Open windows are always available by swiping from the left.  I'm not sure it's better, but it is different.

BOTTOM LINE
I don't like it well enough to continue, so I'm looking for a better touch screen Win8 computer.  I like the detachable screen concept so you have a tablet when you want one and a notebook when you need to type.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Surface Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:18 am »

I had a similar experience with the Samsung ATIV.  It just did not feel quite right.  I was hopping to go the Lenovo Helix but it costs more than a small country!
JRiver CEO Elect

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »

Jim. how did JRiver work on the Surface Pro?

Did you operate in standard or theater mode most of the time? Were you able to tag music, create playlists, etc? Any new ideas on JRiver touchscreen support?

And most importantly (for me anyway), did you find any inspiration for a touchscreen jukebox mode?  :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »

A JRMark would be good to see.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 5.283 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 3.488 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 2.952 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 1.984 seconds
Score: 1386

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.370 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.507 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.602 seconds
    Small renders... 1.716 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 1.791 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 1.304 seconds
Score: 3498

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.541 seconds
    Populate database... 1.839 seconds
    Save database... 0.472 seconds
    Reload database... 0.123 seconds
    Search database... 1.474 seconds
    Sort database... 1.329 seconds
    Group database... 1.056 seconds
Score: 3146

JRMark (version 18.0.171): 2677

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 06:51:21 pm »

Not too bad.  You could mount them in each room as an Intercom Whole House Media System  ;D

FYI - For the first time in 20+ years I've not had a "laptop".  Since I returned the Samsung ATIV Pro, I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet and when I travel I take the Keyboard Dock and a BT Mouse.  I can both remote into my own Windows Boxes as well as work (citrix) and it all works pretty well though I would say:
Downside:
- Screen is a bit small for me these days (have to use reading glasses)
- Some of the keyboard mapping is different when using a Windows session

Upside:
- Feels better in the hand than the ATIV Pro
- Has 4G WWAN / GPS built in (what is it with the "real" windows tablets not including this as std is beyond me)
- Battery Life is great
- Plays all my media just fine
- E-Mail and reading office docs just fine.  If I want to do anything more intensive then I do that in a Windows Session.
- CHEAP! - this thing is a quarter of the price of what a Lenovo Helix will cost us in Australia.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »

I've had a couple of the Samsung Galaxy Tabs.  I like them a lot.  I haven't tried traveling with one yet.

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »

What is a good jr mark, and what is the lowest one can work with?

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:32 am »

I'd also like to know how will it works with JRiver. Especially in theater view. Is it smooth in terms of graphics performance? Are there any hickups when swiping 2D views or using the 3D views? Does it handle 1080P playback well? How about high quility settings. Could it handle that?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 05:39:53 am »

...and does it support the various video frame rates?
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:43:50 am »

The graphics are very quick.  Scrolling in Theater View is smooth.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:14 am »

I'm replacing the Surface Pro with a Sony Duo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up