INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server problem?  (Read 1616 times)

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
Server problem?
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:27:02 am »

Here's the situation.  I've got two computers running brand-new copies of MC18.0.103.  One is the "source," and has all the drives attached to it and is where the library originates.  The other is the HTPC and is out with the TV and sound system.

I had the HPTC simply add the library server from the Source, which seemed to work very well.  I could see everything on the Source and play most of the things without trouble.  However, there was quite a few of the HD MKVs that kept coming up with Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x80004005)

I've found I can workaround this by having it convert files to another format and stream them, but I'd rather not do that since I can't seek properly.

For testing purposes, I installed XBMC 12 on the HPTC, had it connect to MC18 using uPnP and it played the HD MKVs without any trouble.  But I don't really want to use XBMC for this project.  I've invested a lot of time in JRiver's product, and would like to be using it as a whole house solution at this point.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions of how to get around this problem?  I've been using a DLNA-connected WDTV Live Hub, connected to the TV, for the last year, and never had a problem.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:20 am »

Here's the situation.  I've got two computers running brand-new copies of MC18.0.103.  One is the "source," and has all the drives attached to it and is where the library originates.  The other is the HTPC and is out with the TV and sound system.

I had the HPTC simply add the library server from the Source, which seemed to work very well.  I could see everything on the Source and play most of the things without trouble.  However, there was quite a few of the HD MKVs that kept coming up with Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x80004005)

I've found I can workaround this by having it convert files to another format and stream them, but I'd rather not do that since I can't seek properly.

For testing purposes, I installed XBMC 12 on the HPTC, had it connect to MC18 using uPnP and it played the HD MKVs without any trouble.  But I don't really want to use XBMC for this project.  I've invested a lot of time in JRiver's product, and would like to be using it as a whole house solution at this point.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions of how to get around this problem?  I've been using a DLNA-connected WDTV Live Hub, connected to the TV, for the last year, and never had a problem.

That sounds to me like there aren't the proper filters to play that material unconverted on the client PC. You could test that by copying one of the files to the client PC and try to play it directly on there.

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »

That sounds to me like there aren't the proper filters to play that material unconverted on the client PC. You could test that by copying one of the files to the client PC and try to play it directly on there.

I moved one of the movies over to the HTPC this morning and it played fine.  The MC18 can play it locally, and the other software could play it via DLNA.  MC18 just can't seem to play it via the library server access key.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this matters, but I've been going through a list of the HD movies which work versus the ones that don't, and the higher bitrate files are the ones which trigger the error.  Most of the ones which work have a bitrate of under 4000.  The video and audio codecs are numerous, but there's no apparent pattern within those as to functionality.  Also the dimensions seem to not be a factor, as far as I can tell.

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »

Additional information: When I don't use library sharing from the source computer, but instead simply direct MC18 to the shared drives and create a local library on the HTPC, this problem disappears.  All of the movies which were giving me trouble play fine.

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:01:19 am »

If anyone else is having this problem, I found this eliminates it, but possibly creates others.  More on that later.

Under Video -> General Video Settings -> Video Mode: I selected Advanced>Custom.
The Custom settings I used were, starting with Red October HQ, I added a Type: Source/Splitter, Filter: Haali Media Splitter (the only one I found which tolerated the shared library) for all files.  Initially gave it container(mkv);container(avi) as the parameters, but eventually moved to no conditions.  This allows the HD files to play over the shared library to the HTPC.

However, it's caused a new problem.

If I'm in standard view, everything works perfectly.  Everything plays.  Life is good.

If I'm in Theater View, and I select one of the files to watch/play, MC18 hangs almost instantly.  No recovery.  Regardless of what skin is chosen, the system will hang.

Are there any suggestions on what might be causing that sort of behavior?  Something present in Theater View that is not in Standard View?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:04:20 am »

When using Library Server, you'll have best results for video if you use a UNC path or network share so that both the server and client can get to the file using the same filename.

Some formats like Bluray and DVD require this. 

MKV should work regardless, so we will test this on our side and see if we can reproduce the problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »

When using Library Server, you'll have best results for video if you use a UNC path or network share so that both the server and client can get to the file using the same filename.

Some formats like Bluray and DVD require this.

MKV should work regardless, so we will test this on our side and see if we can reproduce the problem.

Thanks, Matt.

I did as you suggested and converted all the movies to a network share path, which eliminated the 0x80004005 error.  That allowed me to get rid of the Haali Splitter customization, which took care of the Theater View hang.
Pages: [1]   Go Up