INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer to another machine  (Read 1849 times)

DanoRoo

• Recent member
Transfer to another machine
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:42:34 am »

I loaded MC on my computer a couple of days ago in preparation for a media server I'm going to build.  Thanks to the tutelage of glynor and others, I have spent many hours learning the program and grooming my music collection with new fill properties and file names.  It just occurred to me that I might have to do this all over again when I build my new machine.  Can I transfer my existing profile (library) to the new install?  Please tell me I can. And if so, how?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Just had a horrible thought
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:56:53 am »

just to reassure you.. you can.  ;D
there might be some bumps but dont worry. it depends a bit of what you want to take with you. but a good starting point is to backup your library and import it on the new machine after you installed mc there..

:)
gab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:50 am »

Can I transfer my existing profile (library) to the new install?  Please tell me I can. And if so, how?

Absolutely.

MC includes a Library Backup feature.  They happen automatically, in fact, but you can "force it" by going to File > Library > Backup.

The Library Backup contains the entire MC Library (the database, not the media files), and also all of the settings for MC.  So, when you get your new machine set up, you'll just want to:

1. Make a backup of the Library in MC on the old PC.  Save it with your media files.
2. Move all of your media files over to the new PC, and the new backup you just made.
3. Install the then-current build of MC and get it registered.
4. Restore the backup on the new copy of MC.

So long as the media files are in the same "place" on the new machine as they were on the old machine (still on F:\ in your case, if I remember right), then you'll be instantly right back where you were!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DanoRoo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:13 am »

I'm going to drink a toast to you this evening glynor.  In fact, to the whole crew here!  ;D

Hipper

• Recent member
Re: Transfer to another machine
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:15:48 pm »

If the Hard Drive is not the same name, or rather a different letter, is the solution just to change the letter of the Hard Drive in the PC?

drgalexo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:59 pm »

So if you upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 or get a new computer you don't have to purchase JRiver again?  I've been holding off purchase and using the demo version because I want to at least get Windows 7 so I can use WASAPI because I can's with Windows XP.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »

If the Hard Drive is not the same name, or rather a different letter, is the solution just to change the letter of the Hard Drive in the PC?
i guess that helps.. i have not changed in a long time, in the past that is what you would do, or run some tool inside mc to rename the references to the files. but now it seems like even without changing drive letters mc would pick up the files. but it might be one of those bumps.. i would run autoimport manualy, and check the report, just to be sure.

gab

gappie

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:33:47 pm »

So if you upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 or get a new computer you don't have to purchase JRiver again?  I've been holding off purchase and using the demo version because I want to at least get Windows 7 so I can use WASAPI because I can's with Windows XP.
no you dont.. as far as i remember, you can use mc on different machines in your household on one license, within reason, and you have 10 (i think) restores working for 2 weeks each, per year.. check the wiki.. :)

gab

drgalexo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »

Excellent, thanks gappie
Pages: [1]   Go Up