INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the significance of Internal vs Source in DSP Studio Output Format  (Read 4488 times)

noahwwinter

• Recent member

My source is a flac file and at the bottom of the DSP & Output Format tab under the Audio Options it states 192 Khz 24 bit while Internal indicates 48khz 64 bit.  I looked on the Wiki and did a search of the forum and did not find an answer.  This usually means it is so basic that I should not ask but hear it is.  My concern is if this is somehow lessening the quality of the music being generated and if it indicates I should be choosing other even more cryptic options.

Thanks for any assistance on understanding what this is trying to tell me.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Internal is what MC is using internally for its processing engine. 64-bit is good, 48Khz may not be good, depending on your hardware.

Can you check the DSP settings on Output format? Sample rate lists which frequency should be resampled to what. If your DAC can't support sample rates higher than 48Khz then I suppose its configured correctly, but if it supports higher, you can configure it there.

noahwwinter

• Recent member

It appears the culprit is the Dolby digital.  All the outputs were "No Change" on the DSP Studio.  I did tweak the sound card to output to 192 Hz, but everytime I select the Output surround sound as Dolby digital both the reciever and the DSP studio indicate the internal drops to 48 Hz.  Otherwise with Source number of Channels and 5.1 the Source and the Internal match at either 96 or 192 Hz.

Maybe 48 Hz is the max for Dolby?  I also have the Mixing set to "No".  So if I want to lsiten to a Music BD that offers 5.1 (I have the speakers) with 96, it appears I have to settle for 48 Hz.  I tried several Flac files and the BD with the same results so the culprit is the Dolby, but I do not know why.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Dolby Digital is 48Khz, I don't think it supports higher (Im too lazy to look it up but Im pretty sure).

If your card supports 192khz, than LPCM and HD audio formats on bluray and high samplerate flacs should play at their respective sample rates.

Can you list your settings in DSP studio and in audio playback options?

I think if you're using directsound in audio playback options Windows mixes everything back to 48khz (I think the default configured in Windows devices).

Sorry for not giving a more elaborate reply, I'm tired ;).

noahwwinter

• Recent member

Dolby Digital is 48KHz, I don't think it supports higher (Im too lazy to look it up but Im pretty sure).

If your card supports 192kHz, than LPCM and HD audio formats on bluray and high samplerate flacs should play at their respective sample rates.

Can you list your settings in DSP studio and in audio playback options?

I think if you're using directsound in audio playback options Windows mixes everything back to 48kHz (I think the default configured in Windows devices).

Sorry for not giving a more elaborate reply, I'm tired ;).

Sorry not to reply sooner as I got put on Thankgiving KP duty.  You are correct about Dolby, it tops out at 48 kHz as I researched it since the last post.

My card does support 192 kHz and I changed it to that and played Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" album which is at 192 kHz.  Both the internal # on the DSP Settings screen and the Receiver all line up to the 192 kHz.

So this has made this research all very worthwhile.

As for the BD that started it all, Darkside of the Moon in 5.1 surround sound at 96 KHz this does not seem to work on J River.  Either I can get the 96 kHz or the 5.1 but not both.  I was able to get the 5.1 at 48 kHz using TMT 5 and that sounds better than the 96 KHz 2 channel in my opinion.  When I play the BD from my BD player, I can get the 5.1 and 96 KHz fine, so I don't think the problem is with the receiver.  However I have to stare at a black screen as there are no visual on the BD, so the J River + TMT 5 Combo at 5.1 Dolby at 48 kHz is still my favorite.  My other music files do not offer 5.1 so J River with the sound card tweaked form 48 kHz to 192 kHz is now the best.

My settings are as follows:

Audio Output: Direct Sound, the only option that has worked so far.
Output Mode Settings: Primary Sound Driver which is the Nvidia Card and for Channels: Default Channels, All Channels and Hardware Direct do not work on the 5.1, the error message states it needs to be 2 channels only for those options.
All Sample rates are set to "No Change"  I set the 48 KHz to 192 KHz to see if that made any difference and it did not.
Bit depth: Source bitdepth
Channels: 5.1 channels
Output surround sound as Dolby digital is unchecked, this pushes everything back to 48kHz although it creates a robust sound.
Mixing is set to No upmixing or downmixing
The subwoofer is unselectable but shows"JRSS Subwoofer"
All other DSP Studio options such as "Volume Leveling" are unchecked.
Am I missing any other possible settings?
Thanks again for the assistance.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

If I understand correctly you've been meddling with Windows driver settings, is this where you set 192Khz? I think for compatibility reasons you should leave that to the default 48Khz.

Typically, you will want MC to decode everything unless you have special wishes. If I understand your situation corrrectly I think the settings below should get you going in the right direction.

Under DPS, Playback Options set Output mode to Wasapi Event Style.
Under Output mode Settings make sure the correct device is chosen, I think in your case a HDMI connection? Tick Open device for Exclusive Access.
In DSP Studio, choose the number of speakers you have connected to your receiver, typically 5.1.
For Mixing, choose JRSS v2.0 surround sound (2.0 is the version number, not the number of speakers ;)).
Tick 'For stereo sources, only mix 2.1'.
Set Subwoofer to suit your needs, if you don't know how to set it leave it at default 60Hz lowpass. If you're using Room Correction, set it to silent.
Set bitdepth to 24 bits.

Sample rate conversion is something you probably need to find out by trial and error. My card doesn't do 88,2 and 176,4, so I need to convert them to something my card accepts.

Personally I think volume leveling is important, it helps prevent clipping but it only works if you analyze your music for the proper replaygain values.

noahwwinter

• Recent member

:D That appears to have worked perfectly!  I followed the steps you outlined, starting with my htpc set back to 16 bit 48 Khz as you suggest, changing to "Wasapi event style", the Wasapi option did not work but this option did, my flac files play at their highest bit rate and Khz, and for the first time the BD played in 5.1 at 96 Khz!!!!

You were right about the HDMI connection and my sound card does have all the available options but so far nothing other than the usual has been needed.

I would never have hit this combination of options even after reading the WIKI and trying numerous configurations.  This saves me from tweaking my sound card and starting TMT 5. 

So now, I just select the song and it plays at its best, which is of course was the goal.

I hope your methodolgy that you provided in this thread will prove useful to others with a htpc setup.

Thanks so very much.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

8)

Glad that worked for you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up