INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unrecoverable MC18 3D Drawing Error  (Read 1685 times)

wewilli1

• Recent member
Unrecoverable MC18 3D Drawing Error
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:45:17 pm »

I wanted to report that I got an unrecoverable 3D drawing error in MC18 last night.  The operating environment conditions were as follows:

1. MC18 was up and running theater view on a Windows 7 64 bit HTPC and windows 7 was sleeping.
2. The HTPC was connected to a flat panel TV via HDMI through an AV receiver.  The receiver and TV were both powered off.
3. Running latest version of MC18 available.

I powered up the system using a Logitech Harmony remote.  Note that the TV is very slow to power up so the HTPC always powers up before the TV.  The fact that the TV is not powered up first leads to a resolution update which is what I think leads to the 3D drawing error.  When no monitor is connected, windows switches to a low default resolution.  When the TV finally powers up and connects to the HTPC, windows detects the 1920 x 1080 TV and updates the resolution accordingly.  Most of the time, MC detects the resolution change after the TV connects and quietly corrects itself.  MC corrects itself as follows:  MC may start out in a small corner of the TV (because of the low initial resolution) but quickly switches to full screen either by itself or as a result of a remote control operation.  Sometimes, MC does not correct itself gracefully and indicates a 3D error.  I ran MC17 for a couple of months and only got 1 3D drawing error and was able to correct it by switching to standard view (ctrl-1) and then back to theater view (ctrl-4).  In this case, when the system finished powering up, MC18 theater view indicated that there was a 3D error.  I tried switching to standard view via ctrl-1 but it didn't work. As I was trying to switch to standard view, windows indicated that MC18 stopped responding and I had to restart MC18 to fix the problem.

wewilli1

• Recent member
Re: Unrecoverable MC18 3D Drawing Error
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

Had a case where MC 18 crashed with windows 7 coming out of sleep last night.  This time I did not get a 3D error; but rather, MC 18 just stopped responding.  A windows message popped up indicating that MC stopped responding and gave me the option to close the application.  This instability only seems to happen when the computer wakes up from sleep.  MC18 has not otherwise crashed once during many hours of watching video.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:49 am »

Try minimizing MC before you put the PC to sleep.  When it wakes, make sure your Windows desktop displays before you maximize MC.  I think you're seeing an HDMI handshake problem.  It's a very common problem that you could read about by doing a search.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:17:06 pm »

Wewilli1, you'll have to adjust the settings on the Harmony remote. I have the same setup as you do.
Try to set the TV as the first device to power on. The HTPC as the last device. Then you can increase the time to power on the TV in Harmony software. It's not super easy to do, but it can be done. I had to increase my power on command (or was it wait between commands?) with a few seconds.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:01:12 am »

Please note that I have been running MC 17 for over a month and never got an unrecoverable 3D error.  The reason I bring this up for discussion is that in MC 18, there were probably a lot of changes in the 3D code.  The goal for MC 18 should be to get it running as good or better than MC 17.  I would like to bring this 3D problem to J River's attention so that it can be addressed in an attempt to improve the MC 18 software baseline performance.  Thank you for the possible work around suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:15 am »

MC18 is faster than MC17.  I don't believe what you're seeing is an MC problem.  Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up