INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about bluray ripping  (Read 1622 times)

racecannon

• Recent member
A question about bluray ripping
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:35:37 am »

I'm beginning to rip my bluray discs for playback over my network and I'm having some trouble understanding the right way to do it. First of all, file size is not a problem. I have a 9TB Netgear NAS. As with my CDs, I'd like to rip once, rip right, so I need a lossless copy. I'm using AnyDVD HD to remove the encryption, then I can rip the disc with AnyDVD or with JRiver (I assume it's necessary to remove the encryption first, please correct me if I'm wrong) - it appears they both produce the same files, in a directory format. Now comes the encoding part. I use Handbrake for it and don't know whether I should use .mkv or .m4v. Additionally I don't know if JRiver will create an encoded version or not. Ideally, I'd like this file to be 1080p, surround sound audio, and allow me to use subtitles if I can't hear what the characters are saying.

I'm trying to figure out how to use JRiver in my home setup and I have it competing with Plex, which I can play on my Roku 2. Frankly I like the Plex interface, but I like the massive control I have with JRiver. If JRiver had a Roku channel with a good interface, I would be sold. But first, I have to figure out how to rip my bluray movies correctly so I never have to do it again and where the resulting files can give me the most playback flexibility.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: A question about bluray ripping
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:17:35 am »

I would copy the disc structure as-is, with a reader like AnyDVD running.  This is how Media Center does it by default.

There's no reason to re-encode or re-mux in my opinion.  You can always do that later if you need to for some reason.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

racecannon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:15 am »

Ok, so I'm going to eat my words about rip size not mattering. I'm getting bluray rips in the neighborhood of 40GB. That's going to eat up my 9TB NAS very quickly. Let say I wanted to convert them to 5GB +/- mkv or m4v files with 1080p and surround sound. Can JRiver do that? (I'm new to JRiver.)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52:28 am »

Ok, so I'm going to eat my words about rip size not mattering. I'm getting bluray rips in the neighborhood of 40GB. That's going to eat up my 9TB NAS very quickly. Let say I wanted to convert them to 5GB +/- mkv or m4v files with 1080p and surround sound. Can JRiver do that? (I'm new to JRiver.)

You can do it with handbrake, but handbrake does not do bluray subtitles (it doesn't detect them on bluray).

You will loose any extra's the disc contains with mkv or m4v as these files only contain the main movie title.
Pages: [1]   Go Up