INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plans to make the RIO players work with the beta versions again?  (Read 1576 times)

Gregg D

Specifically the RIO 800.  It has not worked since the last couple of builds.  It still works on MJ7 but it is very quirky.

Steve

RE:plans to make the RIO players work with the beta versions again?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 02:11:03 pm »

What problem are you having and what build of MJ and Rio 800 Plugin do you have installed? Also what Operating System do you have?

Gregg D

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 04:21:56 pm »

I can not transfer files to my RIO 800 using Windows XP, MJ version 80248.  I used to be able to but haven't for the last few builds.  As far as the plug in, it is the one you get when you use MJ to point to it, for version 8.  version 3.0.5

Also the software (MJ) does not recognize that there is internal and external memory the way MJ7 does.

Darwyn

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2002, 09:44:56 pm »

Steve,

A friend came over with his Rio800. It seems to lock up MJ 8.0.248 after you try to click it a second time, the Rio800 device icon that is. You can start MJ then browse the library for a few songs to load over. THEN you can click Rio800 and hit the Upload button. But if you press the button before queuing the tracks it will surely crash when you go to it the second time. This was done on P4 with WinXP pro.

Gregg D

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 03:25:16 am »

I also am having the exact problem Steve mentioned.  I also have the same hardware.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 05:31:17 am »

I have seen some quirky behavior when connecting to Rio 600 and 800 when running on XP. I get the same inconsistent behavior with Rio's software. At SonicBlue's site, Rio seems to avoid mentioning support for XP and when I have contacted them regarding this, they don't respond.

Having said this, when I have tested this here, on certain XP machines everything works great and on others things don't work so well. I will test this more today trying to find the right mix of drivers and hardware to get this to go.

Can you confirm for me if Rio's software works consistently for you and if so, what drivers you have installed?

Thanks,

Steve

Darwyn

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2002, 09:09:16 am »

Steve,

I haven't thought of it as a hardware-XP problem but that might be it. My friends says it works great with windows 98 and the real jukebox interface. I only have XP and real jukebox didn't work at all. Gregg, do you have any more detail?

Darwyn

Gregg D

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2002, 09:10:56 am »

Rio's own software does work fine for me, (sort of).  The only problem I have with there software is that because I have so many music files on my hard drive it does lock up the program when importing the files.  However after restarting it  3 or 4 times they (the files)all get loaded into the program.  (there program sucks by the way, very user unfreindly)  I am using RIO's software version 3.4.086 and driver S3/Diamond Multimedia 5.1.26  The other issue is the firmware. I have just updated the firmware on my RIO 800 to 1.55  Thanks for the help!

Steve

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2002, 09:28:01 am »

Gregg and Darwyn,

After some more tests this morning I am still hunting for a definitive answer. Everything still works well on one XP but on another I can't get Rio's Audio Manager or my stuff to work. I will keep playing with firmware and drivers to try to make some progress.

FYI, Gregg, I see similar lock ups when importing files using Audio Manager.

Gregg D

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2002, 09:47:08 am »

Steve:

After updating my firmware to 1.55 nothing works.  Not rio's software, not Windows media player, not MJ.  I am going to try again on a win98 machine and see what happens.  I used it with MJ 7 yesterday but it would stall when copying songs over to the player.  It seemed like the maximum amount of songs I could copy at a time was 3.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2002, 10:43:10 am »

Gregg,

If you test on Win98, could you try with MJ v8?

Gregg D

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2002, 04:09:23 pm »

8.0250 Won't start with 98 all I get is this error.

MEDIA JUKEBOX caused an invalid page fault in
module at 0000:00000003.
Registers:
EAX=fffa3bb9 CS=0167 EIP=00000003 EFLGS=00010213
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0095f2c8 EBP=fffa2eb9
ECX=10780080 DS=016f ESI=00000344 FS=0eef
EDX=00000001 ES=016f EDI=00000034 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 65 04 70 00 16 00 a4 05 65 04 70 00 65 04 70
Stack dump:
005660d8 00000344 006b6aac 006b6aa8 00000000 00000344 006b69b0 0095f400 fffa2eb9 00000000 006b69b0 04cf0000 0095f3d8 005ec5db ffffffff 00565433

Steve

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2002, 06:29:22 am »

Gregg,

When you say 8.0.250 won't start, do you mean the connection to your Rio or MJ won't start at all. If you mean MJ, could you start a new thread with your problem so that everyone can throw you suggestions on how to get MJ going?

Gregg|PLS|D

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2002, 05:54:45 pm »

OK hers the deal.  It is working fine now on 250.  I also went back and it works fine on 248 as well.  The problem was not that it doesn't work per say, just that the steps you have to take are odd.  Also, if you don't follow a certain order it locks up.  It seems you have to do it this way: 1. start playing now 2. click on the "target" thing up top that reads Device - RIO 800 3. Delete the songs that you want to. 4. Go to media files and pull the files you want over to the RIO 800 under CD,DVD & Handhelds. 5. Then click back on the "Target Device - RIO 800" in the top left corner.  6. Doing this brings up a menu on the bottom that allows you to upload the files.  the trouble is that you should not have to follow that order.  It is simple once you know what to do, but if you don't ever figure it out (it is not intuitive) then you'd think it does not work.  It is still quirky and does lock up if you try to do several things at once, you also have to be patient it takes a while to display the contents of the RIO player.

My suggestion is if you plug in the RIO have the menu automatically expand the RIO tree into internal and external and always show that menu on the bottom for uploading.  Also a right click send to RIO internal or external would be good.  Also remove the need to always click on the "target".  Thanks.

Steve

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2002, 06:04:31 am »

Gregg D,

A lot of what you request is already designed into the way handhelds are handled by MJ. When you click on the '|PLS|' and expand your player's tree, you will see any memory types that are available. You can drag and drop files directly onto any appropriate branch of the Device. For example, with your Rio 800 you can drop onto either "Internal" or "External" so that the files are directed to the appropriate memory type, but not directly onto "Rio 800" because this path is ambiguous as to where the files should go.

You cannot send files that are currently playing to a Device. Try going to Media Library or to any of your Playlists and then when you see the files in the rightview, either drag and drop them or try right-clicking and choosing "Send-to". Under Send-to you will see "Device" and you will be able to select the Device where you want the files to go (for you Rio 800). These files will go to a default path unless you drag and drop some files first, in which case the "Send-to" will remember your last path.

As you mentioned in your note, it is also possible to drag files to the Target and have them upload that way.

Once you have your files ready to upload, you must click on the root level of your Device (i.e. Rio 800) and you will have the option to upload, or to select "Options" so that you can do additional things such as bitrate conversion and Normalization.

I hope this clarifies the possibile ways you can access your Rio. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up