INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD (VIDEO_TS Folders) no longer play - help pls  (Read 4716 times)

TorqW

• World Citizen
DVD (VIDEO_TS Folders) no longer play - help pls
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:43:09 am »

Hi all,

I've been driven to distraction by this. Have just upgraded to MC18 and playing DVDs (via homegroup/ethernet network) has become erractic (menus take ages to load, black screens when movie selected but MC18 using 51% of CPU). I wondered if the folders had become corrupted as some DVDs faired better than others, but PowerDVD has no problem playing them. I even copied the files to a USB disk to see if it was the fact that they were stored on the network. No luck.
I even tried uninstalling MC18 and reverting back to MC17 - no joy.

Is it a problem of using the existing Tags?

I'm lost here guys - any help appreciated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD (VIDEO_TS Folders) no longer play - help pls
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:44 am »

Are you using Red October Standard or Red October HQ?
Try switching to Standard, if its HQ, and see if it makes a difference.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »

I just upgraded a few days ago too, but all is working fine here.

What processor/graphics card are you using? Have you tried after rebooting the system?

SBR

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:24:10 pm »

I'm using the latest intel i5 chips (z77 chipset), and the onboard HD4000 onboard graphics.
I'm not using RO HQ. I'm also using the latest build of MC18

I've been trying all manner of things over the last couple of days - it appears to be to do with Windows 8 sharing, but the problem is unique to J River and might warrant some attention.

Here's what I've discovered:

I've built a 24TB storage box (as I was running out of storage on my Win7 machine) and decided to use Win8 as the operating system due to its new "Storage Spaces" functionality tieing  the drives together and using parity to ensure some redundancy. I duly copied off the DVD folders, TV shows etc and started ripping my blu-ray collection and shared the media collection via homegroup as per usual.

The Client PC (intel i7, again using onboard intel graphics) is connected via ethernet through a Gigabit router. Once I pointed it to the new library (on the Win8 machine) I found MC17 would crash when it tried to play DVDs and ONLY DVDs (HD MKVs, blu-rays play fine).

To try to isolate the problem, I imported some DVDs from the old Win7 library - that still works fine. So it has to be something to do with the way Win 8 serves up the files.
I then tried using PowerDVD and TMT5 to watch DVDs thinking I might have corrupted the files when copying them over - that worked fine, no problem at all.

So the problem appears to be unique to J River when reading VIDEO_TS folders from a shared Win8 drive using Storage Spaces.

To test this further, I installed MC18 on the "server" and tried watching various media from the "storage spaces" drive. To my surprise it also crashed.
I then copied an example VIDEO_TS to the SSD that the operating system is installed on and....it worked!

So, in brief, it seems that J River (and only J River) has a problem reading VIDEO_TS folders from a Win8 "Storage Space". All other files work fine.

Any suggestions guys? Thanks again for your time - and I hope my experience is helpful to others.
(one other thing - I tried reinstalling MC17. Same problem there too)

EDIT: Now see that Win8 Storage Spaces with Video_TS folders is a common problem (for WMC and MC). Is it really a problem with the splitter? Is there a fix on the way? Many thanks indeed.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:28:36 am »

My setup is too simple to be able to help here. I only have one machine (win 7) and no client/server setup.

If you manage to figure out a fix, please let us know!

SBR

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 02:23:44 pm »

Yep - looks like its to do with the splitter you guys use.
Powerdvd and tmt5 have no problems playing the files.

Any chance of a fix for this? As more people convert to win8 this problem will rear it's head continuously.

Thanks all.
T

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:58:22 pm »

If the Microsoft DVD Navigator is the source of the problem, there is nothing MC can do to fix it (well, nothing easy anyway). If you see the same issue with WMC, then it truely is a Microsoft bug, so simply stay away from Win8. :p
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

furutech

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »

Since J River 18 switched to using Lav and madVR in ROHQ, it no longer plays DVD folders properly. Either stuck in menu or when changing chapters. I tried to use custom video to use EVR as renderer for ifo in ROHQ, but still no good. Is there any way to fix it or for ROHQ to revert back to using the old codec and evr?

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:55 am »

I'm having a similar problem to furutech and TorqW...except in Win 7 not Win 8. Playing Video_TS DVDs works flawlessly from a local SSD, but from my NAS there's some weirdness with chapter skips, seeking problems, and menus. TMT5 plays back fine. I've tried both ROHQ and RO Standard and the problem is identical.

Blu-Ray (I use BDMV) works great from the NAS. Any ideas?

Nev, any chance it's a LAV / CUVID issue? Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'm running version .78 on two computers and the problem manifests on both. One (my desktop) has an AMD 7950 and the other has an NVIDIA GT640, both with the latest respective drivers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up