INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't watch TV channels on my client  (Read 1186 times)

Grenache

• World Citizen
Can't watch TV channels on my client
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:44:54 am »

When trying to watch live TV on my client nothing happens. If I click on a channel or TV show, MC just pauses for a couple of seconds. Same thing in Theater View. When clicking on a show in the TV guide and then "Watch" on the next screen it just returns to the grid after a little while.

I haven't tried this before, so I don't know if it's even possible (yet), but isn't TV watching on a client one of the new features in MC18?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Can't watch TV channels on my client
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:01:27 am »

It could be related to the slow start you reported on the other thread.  After making an attempt to play on the client, go to the server and check TV tuner status there.  One of the tuners should say it's serving clients.

What if you make a second attempt on the same channel after a few seconds?  The server would be ready by that time.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:27:13 am »

I got it working (even on Windows 8  :)). Very nice feature!

While I have your attention, could you tell me why some channels broadcasted in 16:9 play at the right aspect ratio and others don't? I've checked the different channels and it's not related to the video format being MPEG-2 or AVC1/H.264.

In Video settings on the client I got:

Aspect ratio correction: No correction
Aspect ratio mode: No change

When I right click in Display View the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" and "Crop Edges" are checked by default while "Crop Black Bars" and "Override Aspect Ratio" are set to none. This is true whether the channel is showing at the right aspect ratio or not.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:49:34 am »

Aspect ratio in TV is a little tricky.

As I put it in another thread, you should really only use "Source Aspect Ratio".

I am not used seeing broadcasters showing different AR programs at different times.  So I am not so sure what goes on in those individual programs.  We do periodically check the video output (after decoder) and adjust AR.  That really should take care of everything.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »

As I put it in another thread, you should really only use "Source Aspect Ratio".

Sorry, I didn't see your reply in the other thread before posting about it here. I've been experimenting a lot with the different settings for aspect ratio and there are so many combinations that I thought I'd messed it all up, but now I understand why I had problems. In a way it all makes sens, but I agree that aspect ratio settings for TV probably shouldn't be separate from the video settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up