INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Settings for 2Ch, DD, DTS  (Read 4453 times)

swantzilla

• Recent member
Audio Settings for 2Ch, DD, DTS
« on: November 28, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »

Great product. I play 2 channel from the computer to the Yamaha AV receiver over optical just fine. I wish to play DVD and Blu ray files also. The video plays fine but I am having issues with the audio. Unless I enable bitstreaming S/PDIF I cannot get it to do DTS or DD. But I have read that using bitstreaming is not as good for 2 channel use. What would be the best way to set this up for 2 channel and DD & DTS use? Analog out of the computer sound card?

timmotte

• Recent member
Re: Audio Settings for 2Ch, DD, DTS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »

hi,

going out digitally is fine and recommended (poor onboard soundcards). i think you mix 2 things up. enable bitstreams is a must to get dd/dts to your av. but this has nothing to do 2 channel stereo musik. bitstream basically means unchanged pure musik, so no resampling, if you use asio or wasapi drivers. -> best way possible. otherwise windows kernel mixer is corrupting. but like dts musik you have to enable outputformat to resample/mixing 6 channel musik to 2 channel if you want to stick to 2 stereo ("2 speaker")-> converting. otherwise its not working.

tim

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »

Here's what I do with my HTPC outputting via HDMI to my Denon receiver.  I enabled bit streaming in MC so it passes all the hd audio when watching blu rays and my reciever decodes it properly. 

In MC under Options, Audio, select WASAPI (well I do anyhow) and do not select anything in Decoding, Output.  Uncheck Output.  What shoud happen is that when you are playing 2 channel music, just set your receiver to Stereo and you will be able to play normal 2 channel music.  This will also give you the option of select a surround mode as well if you so choose to listen in that mode. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

The best quality is to decode on the PC (not bitstream).

If you're using S/PDIF, you have to use Dolby Digital for surround sound.  You might consider an upgrade to HDMI or analog in this case.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »

The best quality is to decode on the PC (not bitstream).

If you're using S/PDIF, you have to use Dolby Digital for surround sound.  You might consider an upgrade to HDMI or analog in this case.

Totally disagree on that.  Bitstream is basically the raw undecoded data being sent to the receiver for it to decode.  I have a very good receiver so it would do a much better job of decoding than my pc.  There have been plenty of posts about it on AVSForums.

it's certainly better to send pcm instead of bitstream when you have the chance but not all blu rays have a pcm track. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »

I have a very good receiver so it would do a much better job of decoding than my pc.

The receiver may match the decoding quality of a PC, but there's no reason to think it would surpass it.

The PC has lots more processing power and uses algorithms that get widely tested and reviewed.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:32:25 pm »

I would also disagree, I couldn't find so far a soundcard (! not external audiophile DAC) which produced better sound and D/A conversion than my denon amp (AVR-5308 CI(A)) when feeded by bitstream over HDMI. With a low profile HTPC good shielding from PC noises proved to be difficult for most and clearly less costly internal soundcards (asus hdav with H6 extension, Auzentech forte 7.1, creative HD titanium)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:50:31 pm »

I would also disagree, I couldn't find so far a soundcard (! not external audiophile DAC) which produced better sound and D/A conversion than my denon amp (AVR-5308 CI(A)) when feeded by bitstream over HDMI.

You'd still be better served decoding PC side and sending uncompressed PCM over HDMI.

This leverages the best-quality decoding and processing on the PC, and leaves the D/A in the receiver.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:18:22 pm »

I would also disagree, I couldn't find so far a soundcard (! not external audiophile DAC) which produced better sound and D/A conversion than my denon amp (AVR-5308 CI(A)) when feeded by bitstream over HDMI. With a low profile HTPC good shielding from PC noises proved to be difficult for most and clearly less costly internal soundcards (asus hdav with H6 extension, Auzentech forte 7.1, creative HD titanium)

You're confusing decoding with digital to analogue conversion. The decoding is just like unzipping a compressed file, and can be done in either computer or receiver with no difference. The digital to analogue conversion is a different matter. You can still send a decoded lpcm stream to your receiver to convert and it should sound the same as bitstreaming.

maid

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

Perhaps you could use Zones.

Bitstream your videos zone 1

Zone 2  don't use bitstream set this up to play your music.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:28:02 am »

You're confusing decoding with digital to analogue conversion. The decoding is just like unzipping a compressed file, and can be done in either computer or receiver with no difference. The digital to analogue conversion is a different matter. You can still send a decoded lpcm stream to your receiver to convert and it should sound the same as bitstreaming.

I learned something today.... :)

manc

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 10:58:11 am »

You'd still be better served decoding PC side and sending uncompressed PCM over HDMI.

This leverages the best-quality decoding and processing on the PC, and leaves the D/A in the receiver.

A guide or pointer on how this is achieved would be appreciated.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 01:37:09 pm »

A guide or pointer on how this is achieved would be appreciated.

Go to Tools>Options
Search for Bitstreaming in the search box.
Uncheck all options/select 'None'.

mkok

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

Interesting but I don't have hdmi on my old Denon processor and don't intend upgrading so I use bitstream on another zone for films as it is the only way I get correct surround. Seems to work well to me. My audiolab mdac passes this through just fine. How would I get true 5.1 with PCM?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:08 pm »

Interesting but I don't have hdmi on my old Denon processor and don't intend upgrading so I use bitstream on another zone for films as it is the only way I get correct surround. Seems to work well to me. My audiolab mdac passes this through just fine. How would I get true 5.1 with PCM?

You'd need multi-channel analog inputs. SPDIF only does compressed 5.1 or PCM stereo.

mkok

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 05:03:52 am »

Then I would also need a very good sound card with great DA converters which I dont. I certainely wouldn't want to trust my sound to the cheep internal soundcard for DA conversion and all the noise that goes with it. Using the optical out is a much cleaner option and the sound is totally acceptable

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:01 pm »

I can't get my DTS audio to play on my PC.   ? It plays loud white noise!
MC18 latest with WASAPI Event. Win8 64 bit.

Any help... Thanks in Advance
Pages: [1]   Go Up