INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tera's of audiofiles... possible to save tags info in sidecar?  (Read 1567 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

i do backups weekly. and being im in the middle of tagging/organizing my audio files, upon each backup it takes a few hours due to the tag changes.
is there a way to save the jriver xml files like we do for movies for audio files? by doing so my backups would be considerably faster.
thanks

DarkPenguin

Re: Tera's of audiofiles... possible to save tags info in sidecar?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »

Why not just turn off writing tags to files automatically until you finish your organizing?  Just add the jriver DB to your backups.  When you're done turn it back on and wait a week for the backups to finish.

vagskal

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:12:47 am »

You could also look into backup software that only copies the changed bits of a file.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:26:19 am »

You could also look into backup software that only copies the changed bits of a file.

FWIW...  I switched over to Macrium Reflect (from Arconis TI) a while back and I couldn't be happier.  It's stable, works right (unlike Arconis), highly scriptable, and has all sorts of awesome features (it can even live-image a running Windows 7/8 box without rebooting).

Highly recommended.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:12:12 am »

+1 to Macrium eflect. I've been using it since V4 and with v5 I upgraded to a home license for all the pc's.

For some reason they had been sending me discounts for Pro while I already owned a pro license. There was no discount available for pro single to pro home (4 licenses). I sent them a message and asked if they could arrange that and lo and behold, I received a 40% discount code for home license.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »

thanks guys i'll have a look into Macrium Reflect.
I've been using Syncovery (it allows me to do 24 drives at once, and it's suppose to only copy over changes as well.) maybe ill take some time and see if this is actually a Syncovery issue as well.
It's just odd that the only time there is a full drive over write is on backups ON music drives. (which is why i thought maybe it was jriver tag problem.)
Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:40:04 pm »

There are different types of backup systems.

File-based backup systems operate "above the filesystem" (this includes things like SyncBack, GoodSync, and Dropbox).  They can detect changes, and only copy changed files, but when 1 byte of a 6GB file changes, the entire file must be copied over again.  The "atom" is the file.  The file is either changed or unchanged.  These have benefits, though, as they can perform changes "live" on the filesystem much more easily, and can sync to dissimilar filesystems.  I use GoodSync to sync my documents folder, among others, from my Windows machines at home to my Macs at the office, for example.

Block-based backup/imaging systems (like Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and Macrium Reflect) operate underneath the filesystem, on the raw data on disk.  The atom is the disk logical block.  They don't know or care what "files" exist in the filesystem, they only see the actual blocks and sectors on the disk storage system.  This allows all sorts of fancy things, including being able to clone parts of the disk that aren't normally user-accessible, and when 1 byte of a 6GB file changes, the imaging system (which doesn't even know the 6GB file exists) can sync only the block where the 1 byte changed physically.  They have downsides as well, though, as you can't easily clone from a NTFS to a HFS+ (or FAT32) volume this way, and mostly they are designed to make full "images" of the partition you are backing up.  It is much more challenging for them to back up just a particular folder, or set of files.  They operate on entire volumes (though Macrium has some of these features too).

Both are handy.  What tool is right for you in a particular situation depends on your needs.  I use both types of systems for different purposes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up