INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALAC and Album Artist Sort Order  (Read 2717 times)

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
ALAC and Album Artist Sort Order
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:34:22 pm »

Hello,

I encode my media in ALAC/AIFF (iOS devices) and have employed the Album Artist Sort Order field in iTunes such that Bob Dylan is alphabetized in "D" as opposed to "B." Is there a way to enable this field (ALBUMARTISTSORTORDER or TSO2) in MC? Anyone's help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: ALAC and Album Artist Sort Order
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »

Thank you so much for your prompt (and very helpful) reply. I am officially a MC convert.

Tim

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:08:35 am »

I apologize for my ignorance, but I am still unable to view (and thus sort by) Album Artist Sort Order. I have created the new field, naming it Album Artist Sort Order. I have made acceptable value "albumartistsortorder" and have placed "albumartistsortorder=" in the search field.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

MrC

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:11:25 pm »

The Acceptable Value area is where you'd configure a set of values to which Album Artist Sort Order would be restricted.  So you'd want to leave this area of the field definition blank.  In other words, any value is acceptable.

There is probably no reason to add a value to the search field, as the Artist fields will probably cover any searches.  But it is safe to leave it - if so, consider making it an abbreviation so you can enter it in Search more quickly.

Once you've made the changes, then you can select the file(s), and perform Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) to re-read the tags and have this field populated with the file's tags.  Check this by looking at the field in the Tag Action Window.  You'll probably need to add the field in the TAW's view - right click the view to see the options.

More info about the Manage Fields dialog:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_(tags)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »

Should we be thinking about making these sort fields standard, reading / writing them from tags, and using them?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »

Probably.  I know a number of people have asked about them, and workarounds, over the years.

AlexB will probably have the best understanding of all the details - he always does a spectacularly thorough job.

I know vagskal has expressed interest too.

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »

Should we be thinking about making these sort fields standard, reading / writing them from tags, and using them?

Yes.  No one currently does a good job explaining this to users - I think it would be a commendable step.

I myself have battled thru years of tweaking and learning to get my huge library to play nicely in both the MC and Squeezebox world..... took me awhile to figure out the secret recipe of fields - would like to think that everyone wouldn't need to learn what I did.

(My main views are built around an assumption that I want things viewed/sorted just like they used to be in Record store bins....I have ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT set correctly and sort on a CUSTOMSORT field defined as If(IsEmpty([ALBUMARTISTSORT]),[ARTISTSORT],[ALBUMARTISTSORT]))

vagskal

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:37:58 pm »

By all means. Some sort fields are included in the ID3v2.4 "standard" (artist, album artist and title, but not composer and album, I think). I think many Squeezebox users use these tags since Logitech Media Server supports them. And you could build cool tools to automatically populate those fields, or just let MrC show us the magic of Regex. If you support those fields you might want to revise the default sort order so that sorting is done by those fields if available. And you would have to consider if those fields should override the ignore "the" etc option (I think they should).

(I am used to finding Bob Dylan under B on my computer so I do not bother with these tags. My vote for extended tag support goes instead to the original year tags, TORY etc.)

Stopeter44

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 02:34:48 am »

I moved from iTunes to JRiver and it was the bugbear that took me time to work around. Now I'm doing it again, because I've decided to use  squeezebox again, where ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT are used for sorting. THe hint (CUSTOMSORT) earlier in this thread has been a great help to help me get things the way I want.

So, yes, I vote for standard sort fields in JRiver

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:57 am »

My vote for extended tag support goes instead to the original year tags, TORY etc.
It looks like TORY was replaced with TDOR:

TDOR
   The 'Original release time' frame contains a timestamp describing
   when the original recording of the audio was released. Timestamp
   format is described in the ID3v2 structure document [ID3v2-strct].

But official support for this would be nice - I just added a custom field to achieve that recently. (using [Date] to sort by the original release, and adding [Release Date] for that version's release)

vagskal

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:21:41 pm »

It looks like TORY was replaced with TDOR:

Yes, I know but I am still using ID3v2.3.

Like you I am using a custom TXXX field in MC (actually two fields, one for the original release date and one for the date when the audio was recoded), but since I want the standard TORY tag written to the music files I have to use MP3Tag to keep the tags in sync.
Pages: [1]   Go Up