INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long nights in hotels  (Read 1398 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Long nights in hotels
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:56:20 am »

I have been away from home working for the past two months and have been staying in various hotels. No problem I thought as I can use my laptop as an MC client and watch films and live TV. Well every hotel (and my parents house) failed and I got the "buffering" caption on the screen after a few seconds / minutes. What sort of network bandwidth do you need for remote playback for TV and films.

My upload speed from my house is 0.7Mb and download 6.2Mb / second as tested by a broadband speed checker.
Does MC have any transcoding capability based on network speed like Airvideo? If so how do I set this up.

Thanks Ross

MrHaugen

Re: Long nights in hotels
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:13:31 am »

If you have 0.7 Mbit (not byte) for upload, then I think you're in trouble. Perhaps it's possible to set some very low quality encoding on the server that don't fill the upload limit? I've never tried this though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:07 am »

I have 1 mb upload, and AirVideo works at low quality. I couldn't imagine the quality at even lower bandwidth. That said, i've never got MC to stream video, even to an Android device in Gizmo. I figure I haven't set it up right yet.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:09:43 am »

I would expect Gizmo in v18 to work alright with video at 0.7Mb if you use the low quality.  If you have an Android, give it a try.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:44 am »

Sad iPhone user  :'(

But that said I use a laptop for viewing video and pictures.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:38 am »

I must be doing something wrong. If on the laptop client I set the Options/Media Network/Client Options/Video Conversion/MPEG 2 PAL 240P
I would expect the bitrate to drop when I play a video file but it does not seem to. Is there something I have to set on the server?

Ross

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:32:11 am »

I must be doing something wrong. If on the laptop client I set the Options/Media Network/Client Options/Video Conversion/MPEG 2 PAL 240P
I would expect the bitrate to drop when I play a video file but it does not seem to. Is there something I have to set on the server?

Ross

The best choice will be MP4TS 240P.

However, playback of this from a Media Center client is a little sketchy.  We're hoping to work with Hendrik (of LAV fame) to do time-based seeking like Gizmo on Android does at some point.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »

Thanks Matt, That made a huge difference. The bitrate went down to ~200mbs from ~3500mbs. However TV does not seem to share this processing and peaks at ~5500mbs min ~2000mbs which is far too much for my connection and most peoples. Is this in the pipe line OR can it be please, would be great to watch UK tv in France for example.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up