INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle by grouping for Classical music?  (Read 1551 times)

gahsan

Shuffle by grouping for Classical music?
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:38:45 am »

Hello,

I tried to search about this functionality but could not find an answer. In iTunes there is the option of shuffling by grouping for playlists which comes in very handy for classical music. There are usually multiple pieces in an opus and being able to shuffle songs in playlists while having each opus grouped together sounds like a no brainer. Is there a such functionality in MC18? If not, is there a way at which this can be achieved?

Thanks

gahsan

Re: Shuffle by grouping for Classical music?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:37 am »

There must be Classical music listeners out there who could chime in.  ;)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Shuffle by grouping for Classical music?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:17:24 am »

how does itunes know what tracks must stay together.
have you looked to see if we can shuffle play by album.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:27 am »

I'm confused about what, specifically, you are looking for...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:46 pm »

This is a problem that some folks use CUE files for.

You want to play certain tracks or entire pieces together, but shuffle amongst a larger set (such as albums).

Some folks uses Playlists to playback a portion of a mixed-classical album, for example, to playback only the first 3 tracks.  So they want to be able to select, say, 20 of these playlists, and have the playlists themselves be shuffled, but not the tracks inside each playlist.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gahsan

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:09 am »

You're right MrC. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.

To be more clear to some of you out there, let's say I created a playlist and added Beethoven's complete Piano Trio and String Quartet pieces. Now, when I play the playlist, iTunes will, for example, play all four movements of opus 97 and then "shuffle" to the String Quartet B-flat major and then play all six movements before shuffling to another "grouping" given that I tagged all the files with proper groupings. (you need to set shuffling mode to be "By Groupings" under Controls in iTunes)

I did find some posts where people were doing what MrC described. Another thing people mentioned was joining all movements of each work into a single file so that they can shuffle through those "single" files but that seems like a painful way to go about it. I just thought MC18 would have this feature since it's such a basic feature for Classical music playback.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:19:21 am »

I guess generically, you want a shuffle (grouped by) and then we choose the field to group by.  You could then choose album, or you  could add your own field for Opus, or some sort of calculated field, say Composer-Opus, and ask MC to shuffle (grouped by) this easily customized field.

I would put in a vote for this for classical listening.

Craig

gappie

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:44:38 am »

there has been some threads about this in the past. cant find them though. but i think it is not only helpful for classical music. i have enough songs in my library that belong together. and when i play radio, or some other shuffle, i would like to keep them together.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up