INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another madvr ROHQ settings thread - Intel HD3000  (Read 3239 times)

duskdrums

• Recent member
Another madvr ROHQ settings thread - Intel HD3000
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:26 pm »

My system's specs are a i3-2105 intel processor running HD3000 graphics with 2133 ram overclocked to 1400mhz.

Trying to get the best picture quality out of it. If I use the image upscaling setting of DXVA2, which I read is good for intel processors, I get very good performance, but the color seems to be off (comparative pictures attached).

Does anyone (6233638?) know what would be causing that? I can use any of the other custom pixel shader code settings and the colors are right but there is more of a performance hit such that I can't use jinc3 for chroma upscaling and have to rely on bicubic or Lanczos4.

Thanks!

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Another madvr ROHQ settings thread - Intel HD3000
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:21:06 pm »

An i3 w/ HD3000 is not enough to run ROHQ. If you back all the settings down in MadVR so it will run, there is no picture improvement - so it's not worth doing. IMO. I have an i3 and an i5 (and two older Pentium 4 systems) and the older systems and the i3 need a cheap NVidia GT440 or GTS450 to run ROHQ. If you have the room in the computer get one of these cards and then you can use the ROHQ with madVR cranked up (Jinc3).

duskdrums

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:43 pm »

I appreciate it, but that's definitely not true for me. I can run ROHQ without any frame drops for all blu-rays and DVDs  ripped to mkv as long as I'm watching film content and set force film. Like I said, I can run either (Chroma: Bicubic75 or Lanczos4, ImageUp: Lanczos3, ImageDown: Catmull-Rom) OR (Chroma: Jinc3, ImageUp:Lanczos3, ImageDown: DXVA2). I'd prefer to run the second as everything's great except the inaccurate coloring. That's what I'm looking for help on.

DVDs ripped to MKV using MakeMKV does give me an unexpected interlacing error unless I select force film, but that is repeated frames, not dropped frames. I've posted about it before but not really gotten much help except to suggest I turn off hardware acceleration, which I have. My current solution is just to set the force film mode which works for everything in my library. At some point I'll download separate LAV filters and see if that solves my problem. I think this might have something to do with the IVTC issues that 623638 has discussed, though to be honest I'm not totally sure I get it. But those files seem to be in a 29.9fps package. When I force film it does 3:2 pulldown and works fine. When I leave it to auto everything wobbles and looks blurry as if there are 2 frames being repeated. If I could solve this without forcing film mode that would be great too, but for now I'm more interested in the DXVA2 issue since I'm watching much more 1080p content than ripped DVDs.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:54:18 pm »

If you back all the settings down in MadVR so it will run, there is no picture improvement - so it's not worth doing. IMO.
I disagree - madVR offers a lot of improvements over other renderers such as IVTC with decimation, you never have the problem of screen tearing, a number of calibration options, and more.

Trying to get the best picture quality out of it. If I use the image upscaling setting of DXVA2, which I read is good for intel processors, I get very good performance, but the color seems to be off (comparative pictures attached).
DXVA2 is susceptible to driver "enhancements" and it looks like there is something adjusting the contrast there. I'm not familiar with the HD3000 series so I don't know where those settings would be - if they exist at all. That said, I think it is only the 4000 series and up that has the improved DXVA2 scaling, so you might be best using one of the other options inside madVR. With my Nvidia graphics cards for example, DXVA is considerably slower than most options, and it looks worse. One indicator of performance would be the rendering times as long as you have not changed the flush settings.

duskdrums

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »

DXVA2 is susceptible to driver "enhancements" and it looks like there is something adjusting the contrast there. I'm not familiar with the HD3000 series so I don't know where those settings would be

Yes! I removed some "enhancement" settings in the intel control panel and that seemed to clear it all up. DXVA2 is definitely less power hungry on my system than other scaling. I can use Jinc3 chroma whereas with Catmull-Rom AR LL, I was limted to bicubic75 or lanczos3 chroma.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:42 am »

That said, I think it is only the 4000 series and up that has the improved DXVA2 scaling

The 3000 also has Intels Lanczos Scaler with anti-ringing, so DXVA2 scaling is not a bad choice.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:01 am »

The 3000 also has Intels Lanczos Scaler with anti-ringing, so DXVA2 scaling is not a bad choice.
Thanks for the correction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up