INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View Core Command Grouping.  (Read 1001 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Theatre View Core Command Grouping.
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:32 pm »

For our custom remote commands if we could group several commands to be programmed with one button. Then when pressed a dialog box would open similar to the one that asks to continue from the bookmark or to restart from the beginning (Maybe top left aligned).

I don't know about everyone else, I have a fair few commands programmed to my mce remote, remembering which ones are which is a nightmare, I've ended up making lots of tiny stickers for the remote. I would still give main commands a dedicated button, but for commands that are lesser used this would be ideal.

For instance toggling repeat, shuffle, subtitles etc would be great for this. Kind of like a quick launch. It would only work with theatre view if I understand correctly concerning the dialog box??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Theatre View Core Command Grouping.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:53 pm »

We try to make the commands you need often easy to get through with the OSD and in Theater View.

For example, you can use up/down/left/right to change subtitles while watching.

I want sort of the opposite thing -- a simple remote with only up/down/left/right/enter/green button/volume up/volume down.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

locust

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:14 pm »

Hi Matt

thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean, I agree through the OSD would be much better and cleaner than my suggestion, would it be to much too ask if users could be allowed to add a custom level to the OSD, where would could add custom commands? Most users wish for different functions when it comes to this I believe & this way we could all add our own commands & it'd probably be the end of users requesting specific things to be added to the OSD?

What do you think?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »

I like the idea of allowing custom commands on the OSD.  I'm not sure if or how a system like that would intersect with the roller commands in Theater View.  I can see wanting access to things from both places.

Advice welcome.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

locust

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:06:37 pm »

I wouldn't necessarily intersect them with what is already there. I would give it its own section, named Custom Commands or something just like in the image. It would require an extra push of the Up or down button to get there though but I believe it is the simplest solution.

As for creating the menu, I think something similar to the way we create web gizmo views that way we could make some singular commands top level but also group multiple commands using nesting.

For the command 10006 MCC_CONTINUOUS
I could make a root item called Repeat and under that I could make three separate command items using that command for 1: off; 2: playlist; 3: song; 4: stop after each.

I don't think toggle commands would be so useful in this sense unless it can tell you what mode it toggles to.
Another area for concern would be users trying out commands such as 22008   MCC_SET_LIST_STYLE, that has no use while playing a video. I suppose some safeguards would have to be put in place to make sure if a user tries these commands that it would do nothing and the app wouldn't crash. Or if you could only use commands that were approved and would defiantly work while playing a video but that seems like to much extra work especially since you would always have to remember to test and place any new core commands on that list than letting a user use some logic as to what will work or not.

Pages: [1]   Go Up