INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 installation/update problem on XP  (Read 1981 times)

SmokinJ

• Recent member
MC 18 installation/update problem on XP
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:57:39 am »

I have been running MC 18 since the first builds were available. All builds newer than 18.0.70 have refused to install on any of my Windows XP SP3 machines, whether using the auto update feature or manually with a downloaded copy of the program. I've never experienced this before, and I have been a MC user since MC 9. The program will decompress and then give me a Windows installer error and then abort, at which time the previous build (18.0.70) is still intact and functional. Any build 18.0.70 or earlier will install seamlessly. I have tried everything I can think of, uninstalling, etc. and the results are always the same. What changed after 18.0.70 that could be responsible for this behavior? I'm stumped. Any help or similiar experiences? Would sure like to move on. Thanks in advance.  :-)

Ray Dumont

Re: MC 18 installation/update problem
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:47:58 am »

I am using the same OS and am experiencing the same problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 18 installation/update problem
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:19:05 am »

Build 18.0.70 is around the time we switched to a new compiler (Visual Studio 2012).

However, new builds are installing fine for me on XP in a Virtual Box (which is normally more picky).  I've actually been testing on XP all morning this way.

What does the Windows error say?  Anyone else have any clues?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 18 installation/update problem on XP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:46:45 am »

I just tried another old XP SP3 machine here and it installed fine.

Maybe run Windows Update and disable security software that might get in the way?

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:49 am »

Is it possible they need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for XP?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Not sure if JRiver includes it or even needs it on the machine?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:55:32 am »

Is it possible they need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for XP?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Not sure if JRiver includes it or even needs it on the machine?

It's possible there's some new dependency due to the new compiler, although it's not intentional.  We try to static link all the C++ stuff.

I can't see anything out of the ordinary when I look at the dependencies, but you could test this theory by extracting the files in the install package, and then giving the Install.exe, Media Center 18.exe, etc. to this tool:
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:46:14 pm »

Just ran dependencywalker on the installer. The only error I receive, on an XP SP3 machine w/ all updates before October installed, is the INETCOMM.DLL. I believe this is normal behavior and the installer worked without issue on my XP VM.

After successful installation, what I am seeing is all of the DLLs and EXEs are reporting that the INETCOMM.DLL is missing. Everything seems to be working as expected, however.

The JRWEB.EXE reports that libcef.dll is missing, along with INETCOMM.DLL, but web "browsing" from MC seems fine. This is the only error out of the ordinary.

So I guess I'm with Matt - run all of the available Windows Updates and verify they are installed before trying again.

Next step is to pull our XP image onto a physical machine if you think it warrants it. It is what I'm running in VM exactly, so I don't think it'll make much difference, but am willing to try it out.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »

Thanks for the help slerch666.

JRWeb.exe is a little bit special.  If you use the Chromium browser engine (Options > Tree & View > Browser), the Chromium components like libcef.dll get downloaded before the JRWeb.exe program is run.

You'll notice the hourglass next to libcef.dll in Dependency Walker.  This means it's a delay loaded component, and only loaded when or if used.  If you use the default Internet Explorer web engine, libcef.dll should not be needed.

In general we try to delay load everything we can.  It helps load performance and resource usage.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:18:51 am »

If you want me to try on a fresh XP SP3 install with no updates, I can do that. Just not sure it's worth doing if it's just 2 people having issues in XP?

SmokinJ

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:34:31 am »

Thanks guys for the reply. I assure you I've been at this a while and have tried (almost) everything. The fact that it's occuring on 4 machines (almost fresh installs) is bewildering. It is working normally on my laptop however, which has identical software as the troubled machines. Have not had a build specific problem like this one before. The error message is the standard installer error "Windows installer has encountered a problem and needs to close" . I just tried installing C++ update as mentioned with no change in results. Thanks again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up