INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Childrens view  (Read 2025 times)

Andres Loor

• Recent member
Childrens view
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:22:41 am »

Hi,
I'm new to MC and I find it a bit difficult to use so I would humbly ask for advice in setting up views for different users in the video part, meaning one view for all childrens movies (I have tagged the movies and clips under "comments"), and another for all other movies. I would like them to be "default- settings" under two differnt selections directly under "video" and I would like MC to start directly with the childrens view. Additionally I would like the views not to show videos under the length of 30 minutes, switchable to only show videos under the length of 30 minutes.

I have looked and tried but this is over my ability, so thanks for any help.
Best regards
Andi

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
Re: Childrens view
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:16:22 am »

The comment field is not the best approach for your task. Better tag Genre and Media Sub-Type.
Then you can create a view like Media Sub Type=movie + Genre=Children (or Family; Animation and alike)
Unfortunatly Media Sub Type is limited and you can't add your own types but it helps. Anything shorter than somewhat 90 mins should be auto-populated with TV Show already, check it out by displaying all tags.
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Andres Loor

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:01:26 am »

Thank you, but.... :-)
I can tag allright but how do I set up a view that automatically/with one selection shows the childrens view, and another view that automatically shows everything but the childrens view.
I have a view now that will let me sort one or the other with several clicks/choices. I would like this to be "children friendly" and automatically start when MC is started.
Thanks for your thoughts though
Andi

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:13:49 am »

you could take a look at access control http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Access_Control

might do what you want.

:)
gab

(is there a way to reset the password.. i seem to have forgot it  ? )

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:19:49 am »

Quote from: gappie
(is there a way to reset the password.. i seem to have forgot it  ? )

check the registry key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 1X\Properties]"AccessControlPassword"="password"
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:59 am »

check the registry key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 1X\Properties]"AccessControlPassword"="password"
thanks a lot Lasse.. interesting enough its empty.. will delete it :)... and that works.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:23:38 am »

MT5FR

Andres Loor

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:17 am »

Thanks to allanswers! Unfortunatelly I don't think this is what I wish. It seems to complicated. I don't want parental control. I simply want MC to show all childrens movies on startup and then to be able to switch view to all other movies. (It must be simple for my daughter to operate mc by herself.) (When you write about SDK strings, please excuse, but I don't follow how to set it up or where to access this.)
Thanks
Andi

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:03:51 am »

The way I would do it is to select all the kids movies. then right-click and choose Library Options- Rename, Move and Copy Files and move or copy them to a different folder.
I would then click File-Library-Library Manager then Add library, calling it Kids (or something), and entering the path to the folder in which you saved the kids' movies.
You can then switch between the full library and the kids library using File-Library.
As long as you always switch back to the kids library prior to closing MC18, it will open using the kids library.
I don't know how to do the length thing you mention unless you changed their subtype or genre to Shows instead of Movies.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:11:11 am »

My vote is to use one library and do it with views.  Just make one movie view for your movies and another view for the kid movies.  You could use [Genre]=[Childrens] or similar as the trigger.

If you use two libraries, you may get in trouble later when you start thinking about things like auto-import, TV recording, ripping, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Andres Loor

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »

Hi both and thanks for the ideas.
Matt, I like the simplicity with your way. May I just ask, the trigger:  [Genre]=[Childrens], is this an expression or do I set it up somewhere else? The library fields usually start with genre: all genres, kids and unasigned. How do you get it to stick on "kids" when you enter this view. For me it allways starts with "all genres".
Thanks for your help.
Andi

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:39:09 pm »

You're going to have to learn a little about view customization.  Views in Media Center are all totally configurable.

In Standard View, right-click a view in the tree and say 'Customize View...'.  Then use 'Set rules for file display...' to tell the view what files to include.

For Theater View, you edit views in Options > Theater View.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Andres Loor

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:35:46 pm »

Thank you Matt. This will help me achieve what I'm trying to do.
Thanks a lot.
Andi
Pages: [1]   Go Up