INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom view/Panes : is it possible to show a tag/category on multiple columns ?  (Read 1105 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Greetings,
On my main desktop rig, where I do most of my maintenance stuff, I am lucky enough to have 3 24" monitors side by side  :)

My question is Images related, but may also be relevant to Audio and Video...

For maintenance (tagging) of my photo collection, I work in pane tagging mode.
I have a custom view organized as follows:
- Cover view
- List style thumbnails, on the right part of the window
- Panes on the left side
- 3 categories (tags): People, Places and Keywords shown one on top of the other vertically

Is there any way to have more than one column showing a given tag, Keywords for example ?

Given the horizontal real estate that I have available, I would like very, very much to work in pane tagging mode and have 2 columns dedicated to People, 1 column dedicated to People, and 3 or 4 columns dedicated to Keywords, each column the full height of the displays.

Or at least, one full-height column for each tag.  Currently, all three tags share the vertical space of a single column. That entails a lot of slider work !

Thank you !

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

The only thing you can do regarding multiple rows/columns of panes is to split the view (View > Split View > Show 2 views)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Thank you MrC, nice try  :)
I just tried a triple split view, with a "People" view, a "Places" view and a "Keywords" view.
The problem is I end up with three series of thumbnails, and I have to select the same thumbnail on all three views than check the boxes on the proper tags.
No go  :(

This is how I usually work :  
If I had a Christmas office party yesterday, and I took a lot of pictures (that will not happen, what goes at an office party stays ...), I would transfer my photos to the desktop PC and import them in MC.
Then I would select all party pictures and check once the "Office" Places tag.
After, I would select all where Charlie appears and check once the "Charlie" People tag
After, I would select all where Annie appears and check once the "Annie" People tag
and repeat until I am done with the People tag
Then I would address the Keywords tag, first by selecting them all and creating an "XmasOffice2012" keyword tag.
Afterward, I would add additional Keywords tags to individual pictures.

So split view is not the solution for me.  

Any hope ?

Rudy

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

Probably user marko will have some advice.  He does extensive tagging of photos in MC, and has a good workflow.

Keep in mind, you can drag-n-drop pictures onto keywords.  So a split view, with a minimized file list area (perhaps configured in Details view) will provide you with a long list of keywords and only about 3/4" wasted space.  Then, drag your images from view 1 (the pictures view) to view 2 (the keyword view).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up