INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Initialkey in MC17?  (Read 3286 times)

Mirlynn

• Recent member
Initialkey in MC17?
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:05:58 am »

I am looking to be able to view the Key values I have assigned and stored in my MP3 to date. As a DJ this is very important to me. I use a separate program called Mixed In Key to both calculate BPM as well as provide they Key the music is in.

I am relatively new to Media Center 17. Historically I have used MP3Tag to handle all my tagging needs. I would LOVE to be able that functionality into MC17 (if I can). In MP3Tag, Key = Initialkey.

Based on ID3 v2 spec, Key is referred to as TKEY. See:

TKEY
   The 'Initial key' frame contains the musical key in which the sound
   starts. It is represented as a string with a maximum length of three
   characters. The ground keys are represented with "A","B","C","D","E",
   "F" and "G" and halfkeys represented with "b" and "#". Minor is
   represented as "m", e.g. "Dbm" $00. Off key is represented with an
   "o" only.

FROM this URL - http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames

Needless to say, I have tried to search the JRiver forum as well as tried various ways to create a new field in MC17. From previous posts my hope would be that I could just add a field called "TKEY" or "Initialkey" and MC17 would pick it up when it reads from the file (I know the key data is stored in the files I am testing with).

Unfortunately, MC17 does not seem to pickup the Key data from my tags.

Has anyone else done this? There are a variety of options to configure when creating a new field. I could easily see screwing that up and not getting something correct. If anyone has any feedback, I would GREATLY appreciate it. This is about the last thing that is REALLY causing me pain at the moment with using MC17.

Thanks in advance!!!

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Initialkey in MC17?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:42:34 am »

From previous posts my hope would be that I could just add a field called "TKEY" or "Initialkey" and MC17 would pick it up when it reads from the file (I know the key data is stored in the files I am testing with).

Try "Initial Key." ;)

To figure these things out, look at the raw file tags in the Tag Action Window. To do so, click the very first line at the top of window—it's a link to a new window showing the file tags. In this case, you should see TKEY (Initial Key): {value}. MC will put the value in [Initial Key], if that field exists.

Mirlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »

Unfortunately, I am not seeing what you have described. In the Tag Action Window, I have expanded it to "Show All Tags". I did this by clicking on the first line of the Tag action window that literally says "Tag" in the top line. It has 3 icons next to it, one on the left which is where I select the "Show All Tags" when I click on it, and 2 on the right. One looks like an arrow up which maximizes the tag window and the other looks like an X which closes the window.

I don't know how to get to see the raw file tags that you mention. Am I missing something? How do I go about viewing the raw file tags?

When I select "show all tags" I see a list of all the available tag (names) defined in MC17. I actually see the field I defined/created called "Key" but the field is blank. I added this NEW field by going into >Tools >Options >Library & Folders >Manage Library Fields. In order to test various things, I altered the field name itself to be called "Initial Key" with no luck in reading the tags. I also tried "Initialkey" to see if syntax might be causing an issue. No luck there either.

At no point have I seen TKEY referred to at all. Outside of the attempts I have made in creating the new field for "Key" I have not seen TKEY referred to at all.

I don't know if as part of creating the field that I need to specify "Acceptable Values" or "Search keywords" when creating this new field but thought those might be an issue. I hope this is something super simple and I am just being 'thick'.

I certainly appreciate your feedback and welcome any additional direction in getting this solved.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »

To figure these things out, look at the raw file tags in the Tag Action Window. To do so, click the very first line at the top of window—it's a link to a new window showing the file tags.

Mirlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »

Kudos on the Screen shot. That really helped. I can now see what you are talking about. I also see the TKEY (Initial Key): {value} that you mentioned in your earlier post. I know the key is recorded in the MP3. Now I want to be able to see that in the standard view along with Artist, Title, BPM, etc.

That is the problem I can't seem to solve here. Knowing MC17 is able to see the Initial Key field is a relief. Configuring it so that the field populates in the standard view with everything else is still the last hurdle to cross.

I will try again to see if I figure it out now that I can see the raw tag data in the MP3.

If there is any direction on how to setup the field so that MC17 reads it, please let me know.

Thanks again for all the efforts! They really are appreciated.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:47:34 pm »

In order to test various things, I altered the field name itself to be called "Initial Key" with no luck in reading the tags.

This is probably your problem. You can't change the name of a field, you can only change the display name. Delete the field you created, and add a new one named 'Initial Key'.

dlazz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 05:19:32 am »

Hello everybody...

i cant get this to work. I can see the raw tags, but how to show it in library view?
Where are the fields i have to make and what i have to write inside?
Can somebody make a sreenshot or something else wich explain that?
For me it seems i can display all infos, but not the initial key.

This is what i done:
1. in options add a field "Initial Key" under "manage library fields"
2. In library "add expression column"
3. name it to Initial Key
4. under expression "insert field" i add my created field from nr1
5. insert function  Field()

at the end the expression looks like:     [Initial Key]Field(Initial Key)
it doesnt work! The strange thing is if there is [Initial Key]Field(Artist), then there is the artist shown,  or [Initial Key]Field(BPM), then you see the bpm. but with key it doesent work.

What i'm doing wrong??

dlazz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:39:19 am »

i got it  ;D

BenBongo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:57:50 pm »

Any tips on how to get this working? I've added a custom field entitled "Initial Key" without the quotes, yet MC is not filling in the field for songs that do have Initial Key data.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »

Did you Update Library (from tags)?

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »

Did you Update Library (from tags)?

I am looking for the same thing - to show the TKEY (Initial Key) field in the tag label columns.  Update Library from tags does not pick it up other than the method described here http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Check_if_a_file_contains_tag_information

Using MC18 now.  Using Mixed In Key which writes out the key info to the TKEY field that MC cannot display.  It also can write the key to the Comment field but only as a prefix to existing comment data or by overwriting the field completely.

If MC would allow searching on the TKEY field and copy to a new field but that is not an option either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up