INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request for MC19 or 20: Pane tagging on multiple columns for a given tag  (Read 2419 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Hi, I searched, I asked, but it looks like it is not possible.  
My interest is for Images but this would also be useful for any tag that has a large number of values, like Actors in Video or Soloists in Audio.
Detailed original question here : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76430.msg517724#msg517724

I often use Pane Tagging mode to tag photos I recently imported by just checking boxes on tag values that very often already exist.  I fill 3 main tags:
- People
- Places
- Keywords

I have 3 monitors side by side on my desktop PC, and would like to take advantage of a very large desktop to have:
- 2 or 3 columns for People
- 3 or 4 columns for Places
- several columns for Keywords

Even better, within the Pane view, there could be a checkbox beside the tag name to detach a tag (Category) from the main window and give it it's own window.  The header of such a window could have a user control specifying the number of columns required.  Sliders would appear if the number of values exceeds the window capacity.

Currently, my pane tagging playground is a single column shared between the values of 3 tags (categories).  This makes for a LOT of sliding around !

This is definitely not urgent, given the colossal work entailed by the move away from .Net, but it would be really nice to see on MC19 or MC20.

More and more, people have multiple monitors on their desktop and it would be nice to put that real estate to good use.

Thank you all !

Rudy

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I think putting each pane in its own column would be nice when you have a wide monitor.

Would that work?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

It would be better than present, but consider that some tags have a large number of existing values.  Also, it is not only for large monitors, but also multiple monitors.  I have 3 and Eyefinity cards allows 6 easily...

For instance, my workflow upon importing pictures:

If I had a Christmas office party yesterday, and I took a lot of pictures (that will not happen, what goes at an office party stays ...), I would transfer my photos to the desktop PC and import them in MC.
Then I would select all party pictures and check once the "Office" Places tag.
After, I would select all where Charlie appears and check once the "Charlie" People tag
After, I would select all where Annie appears and check once the "Annie" People tag
and repeat until I am done with the People tag
Then I would address the Keywords tag, first by selecting them all and creating an "XmasOffice2012" keyword tag.
Afterward, I would add additional Keywords tags to individual pictures.

Hence my interest in multiple columns...

Thank you, and great holidays to everyone !
Pages: [1]   Go Up