INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper use of expression in theater view ....  (Read 1115 times)

apostos

• World Citizen
Proper use of expression in theater view ....
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:09 pm »

In “Options” – “Theater View” – “Customize file info panel” I’ve created a new field I’ve called “Personnel”.

I’m using the expression value: [Band]&datatype=
    in Theater View to populate the right side of the screen to display a list of band members playing on the record/disc. - E.g.  Name
[Instrument] which shows up on the screen (in small view) as ….

Walter Becker [Guitar, Vocals]
Dean Parks [Guitar]
Adam Rogers [Guitar]
John Beasley [Keyboards] …

The Band column actually contains all this information –

Walter Becker [Guitars, Vocals]; Dean Parks [Guitar]; Adam Rogers [Guitar]; John Beasley [Keyboards]; Donald Fagan [Keyboards]; Fima Ephron [Bass]; Ben Perowsky [Drums]; Paulinho Da Costa [Percussion]; Bob Sheppard [Saxophone]; Bruce Paulson [Trombone]; Jon Papenbrook [Brass]; Katherine Russell [Background Vocals]; Brenda White-King [Background Vocals]

I suspect there is a character or line limitation incorporated into this field. Is there any way to work around this limitation and have all/most of the information available to view? (Please note this is my first foray into the use of “expressions”)
[/list]

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Proper use of expression in theater view ....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »

when its your first try, you did well..

i have the same, with people playing something on a song. the '...' in this case means that thv only will give you 4 lines. move to the field and it will show you all players...

and yes, i agree when there would be something too omit this 4 lines limit.

:)
gab

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »

Thanks .... it never occurred to me the fields could be active. I'll have to see how it works with the remote  since that’s my primary form of navigation.

I see that this works reasonably well in the large view but in the small view this field is apparently not active and still limited to the 4 lines so I’ll have to rethink my layout options. But that's part of the fun.

I really don’t know how "list" wound up on the bottom of my original post. My apologies, and kudos to your deciphering abilities!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »

I really don’t know how "list" wound up on the bottom of my original post. My apologies, and kudos to your deciphering abilities!

Knowledge awaits: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72058.msg488007#msg488007
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:40:30 am »

Thanks .... it never occurred to me the fields could be active. I'll have to see how it works with the remote  since that’s my primary form of navigation.

I see that this works reasonably well in the large view but in the small view this field is apparently not active and still limited to the 4 lines so I’ll have to rethink my layout options. But that's part of the fun.

deciphering was not so hard, did that myself oft enough
Code: [Select]
[Band]&datatype=[list]. i think a field like that would not do it right in the small view. when there is a big band it would get too much. and it is fun..

i attached what i use atm in big view..
Pages: [1]   Go Up