INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dumb question about ripping  (Read 592 times)

dick

• Recent member
dumb question about ripping
« on: April 13, 2002, 02:10:51 pm »

Forgive the dumb question, but I'm new to digital music: Is there any problem with running other tasks on my computer while ripping CDs? I'd like to listen to music I've already ripped (as allowed in version 8), scan album covers (my HP R-80 scanning software is a CPU hog), get e-mail, browse the web, etc. Will this cause any problem copying CD data to WAV or encoding it to WMA?

My guess is that the answer is "no problem", but I want to be sure before ripping hundreds of CDs. I think it's OK because "Digital CD Audio" is enabled on my CD-ROM drive. With only digital data copying and encoding going on, and no D/A conversion or CD burning going on, it seems to me that there should be no adverse timing problems should MJ have to give up the processor or wait for I/O to complete. Is that correct?

BTW, my machine is a 600 MHz PIII Dell Dimension XPS with a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM drive (at least 24x.)

Dick Green

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:dumb question about ripping
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2002, 04:09:07 pm »

Sometimes it's OK to be doing other things, sometimes it isn't.  Best to try it.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

RE:dumb question about ripping
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2002, 04:52:44 pm »

Dick

You look like you have a fairly healthy machine. I'm constantly doing something else with mine when ripping, and it's only a PII machine. I don't recall having any problems really. Just gets slow because of memory hurdles. Not long ago 128 mb of ram was huge. Now I think it's the bare minimum! Anyway, try a few as JimH suggested. A test run can save alot of headache pain in the long run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up