INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Send Replay Gain to DAC  (Read 1107 times)

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
Send Replay Gain to DAC
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:00 pm »

I use JRiver 18 for audio and nothing else. I stream from my PC to a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC in my main system. It would be wonderful to apply RG at the JRiver end of the Network so playlists don't have the huge swings in gain when played back on the DAC. If I live long enough, PSA have assured me that, one day, the DAC will be able to read the RG tags and make the necessary adjustments. However, it is not on their shortlist and they have bigger fish to fry (their words). Is there a way to do this? Will you guys ever do it? I have tried Volume Leveling at the DLNA config. page of Network Configuration but it does not sound any good (to me) so I am left running to my volume control when something loud come on. :D 'twould be nice!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Send Replay Gain to DAC
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »

In Media Network, set conversion to 'Always convert' and pick '24-bit PCM'.  Then enable volume levelling.

This uses the PC to decode and apply Replay Gain, and sends the output at 24-bit.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Send Replay Gain to DAC
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:44:16 am »

Thanks Matt.. so I go to add or configure DLNA server> audio: always convert> encoder: there are four uncompressed options: L16-no header/24bit-LPCM-no header/uncompressed/uncompressed 24bit..I take it you mean the latter. I tried 24bit LPCM-no header but that would not work. Then I apply volume leveling but no stereo mix down?   OK?  I tried something like that once before (on an earlier build) & I didn't like the sound. I will give it another go as you say and have another listen..thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up