INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Properly tagging CD's with DJ remixes (trance/dance)  (Read 1115 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Properly tagging CD's with DJ remixes (trance/dance)
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:41:44 am »

I've no experience with stuff like this cos its not my kinda thing, but if I wanted to tag this properly how would I go about doing it?

Currently its set like this:
Album: Big Room Trance
Album Artist: Armin van Buuren
Album Type: Multiple Artists (complete)
Artist: (Varies) <-- contains the original artists before Armin raped it :P.

I don't know if this is the correct way, but problems I see is if I use rename/move/copy (and keep Assorted ticked) it moves it correctly to Assorted folder but my Panes won't show it under Album/Artist (auto), because that's all set to Armin van Buuren.

Or Maybe I've got Panes setup incorrectly? Should I be using Artist instead of Album/Artist (auto)?

Thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Properly tagging CD's with DJ remixes (trance/dance)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:50 pm »

When Album Artist is set, it is used in the default views.  If you want this compilation to be listed under Various, or (Multiple Artists), clear Album Artist.

Alternatively, you can customize a view to show compilation albums under some collective grouping (e.g. _Compilations), and then show Album Artist\Album under that.  This would be 3 levels vs. the common 2 levels of Album Artist (auto)\Album.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:52:48 pm »

Thanks, though its not really a question about how to show them properly with the current tags, but how to tag it properly for this kind of music. Then I can see if views need changing.

Music Brainz documentation explains a lot about tagging properly but it doesn't really deal with DJ remixes and that kind of stuff. Mash-ups is all they talk about (at least, from what I've found).

MrC

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »

It's a matter of taste and needs.

Do you want to see the original track name (so that you can group the same track names together at times, to play the various forms of the track)?  If not, tack the Remix artist to the end of the track.

Do you want to see the original artist, with a Remix artist afterwards, as a contributor?  If so, use Artist as a list, with remix artist as a second artist. Or vice-versa.

Or you could create a Remixed By field, and populate that.

All the decisions will affect some aspect of the tool you use, whether it be automatic look-ups, or how the tagging affects external players or other software.  So it depends on how you use your metadata.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:04:30 am »

I guess it comes down to whether they are considered new songs or covers of existing songs. Some songs feature the original artist as well tacked to the title, "(Feat. Someone)".

I'll play around and give it some thought.

Thanks!

MrC

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:20 pm »

Right, I think that's a good approach.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cut my reply so briefly.  The door bell rang, and I was able to squeeze in the last sentence, but felt there was more that could be added.

Since I use Squeezebox's around the house, and their tagging support is weak, I've generally had to rely on Artist, Name, and Genre tags to provide the bulk of what I might care about.  But since they have limited screen real-estate, I don't like the tags too long, or the devices scroll long lines endlessly and I find it less desirable.

Since I'm not using MC more or less to drive them all the time, I'm not not concerned about what they display.  In fact, if the display(s) die, I don't really care so long as the pump music.  So my tagging has gotten a little more adventurous and full.

I like, for example, being able to quickly pick all variants, of say, Take Five, or Concierto De Aranjuez, regardless of who performs/mixes it.  Sometimes, such tracks are have been renamed, so I set the original name in a tag.

The guiding principal for me is that MC can easily build complex info out of smaller, discreet tags much more easily than I can break apart complex, varying tags.  A number of Classical taggers have created complex, long track names, only to work hard at breaking out the Work, Movement, etc.  It would be much easier to combine small pieces to form a full title.

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »

MrC gave good advice (write "small" pieces of info into specific MC custom fields), as always. It is easy to use = expressions to combine those MC fields into "standard" tags, like name, album, artist, genre, written to the music files if you want to use them with other software/DLNA - the tricky part is to remember to update the file tags with specific expressions every time you change the MC fields.
Pages: [1]   Go Up