INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to record a wav  (Read 1315 times)

Ton-Up

Unable to record a wav
« on: April 13, 2002, 06:00:13 am »

I've got a slight problem that I'm hoping the collective brains of this forum might be able to help with.
I'm trying to record some albums from the line in on my sound card but when I push record I get a box pop up saying that a wav file cannot be created, when I click on ok MJ goes through the motions of recording but produces no output file. I thought this may be MJ specific but I checked out recording with another program and got the same result.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ton-Up

RE:Unable to record a wav
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2002, 06:31:44 am »

Ok this is getting weirder. MJ will not record or playback a WAV but MJ media editor will record one. Creative wavestudio will record and playback WAVs and sound recorder will record and playback. Spin doctor, that came with my adaptec software, won't record a WAV either. All very strange and frustrating.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2002, 06:33:05 am »

do you have wave out, line out etc... muted in windows or other sound out options.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Ton-Up

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 06:45:15 am »

Yep all my setting are as they should be, as far as I can tell. MJ detects sound and will record it but it won't save it, nor will it playback a pre recorded WAV. Before I'm asked I'm using the latest beta build and a Soundblaster live running under win 98 although I don't think the hardware has any bearing on the problem, it seems to be screwed up sofware somewhere.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2002, 06:48:35 am »

Could it be that the file exists and is write-protected?  Or the directory?  Is the drive setting OK?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2002, 06:53:19 am »

Ton-Up

there is a setting for a Temp dir, and a save to dir, make sure that is correct. (i am not at home right now so i can't look).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Ton-Up

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2002, 06:55:54 am »

Nope, directory and file settings are all fine. Another strange thing is that In an attempt to get MJ to play a WAV I re downloaded the WAV input plugin from the plugin web page. It downloaded but then displayed a box when it tryed to install which said that only DSP, Input and visualisation plugins can be installed but I was trying to install an input plugin. This is all making my head hurt.

JimH

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2002, 06:59:09 am »

Mismatch of version 7 and 8?  Try a reinstall of MJ.
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2002, 07:02:47 am »

i guess if what jimh said does not work you could uninstall MJ, with all registry entries, make sure the j river dir is deleted, and reinstall MJ from the latest build.

due to the new registration make sure you have your rrg file aval\backed up if you have one.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Ton-Up

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2002, 09:05:13 am »

Ok, well I've uninstalled, reinstalled then uninstalled cleared the registry and reinstalled again. I can now play WAVs but still cannot record and save as a WAV.
Jim I think it might be an idea for someone to have a look at the recording section because apart from my problem with saving a WAV the left and right volume indicators don't seem to be working, even though auto sound level detects sound. If these are broken then it could be that someone may come across whats causing my problem.
I'll wait and see what turns up(if anything). Thanks for the help.

JimH

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2002, 09:11:06 am »

I'm not sure about the record to wav problem.  You can work around it by recording as APE files.  This is exactly the same quality and half the size.

L/R problems are sometimes cable.  The mini-stereo plug should have two little black bands, not one.  I was bitten by this one once.

I'm sure that recording works because I've used it in the last week.  (Version 8.0.247)

What version of MJ do you have?

Sometimes strange problems like this go away when people reinstall the sound card drivers.

Don't run Media Editor and Media Jukebox at the same time.
Jim Hillegass

Ton-Up

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2002, 11:12:43 am »

Ok Jim I'll try reinstalling the soundcard drivers but personally I don't think it will make a lot of difference.
I've tried another couple of test recordings and the whole recording section seems a little shot to me. If I start a recording, left and right volume indicators appear but are static then if I push the pause the recording time elapsed keeps ticking over. When I restart the recording the time elapsed resets to zero and the volume indicators don't reappear.
It's been a few weeks since I've used the record section but it didn't behave like this the last time I used it.

Ton-Up

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2002, 11:17:38 am »

Ok strange thing. I reinstalled the drivers for my sound card and rebooted but it didn't make any difference so I gave up on MJ for the day. Last night I got a totally unrelated BSOD restarted the pc and bingo I can record to WAV again. Weird.
Thanks for all the help.

JimH

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2002, 11:33:42 am »

Windows Works in Mysterious Ways.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up