INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Problem with Red October HQ  (Read 2372 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Recent Problem with Red October HQ
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:18 am »

I hope I'm posting in the right spot; I've been using Media Center version 18.0.94 with Red October HQ with no problems for a month or so.  I was successfully watching Blu-Rays with it over the weekend (and they looked great).  Suddenly, today, I began receiving a MadVR error everytime I try to start a DVD or Blu Ray that reads "Creating Direct3d Device Failed (8876086c)."  Red October Standard still works fine.  I've made no major system changes apart from unplugging my system and reconnecting everything earlier today.  I'm running an i7 with an Nvidia 550 Ti (using AnyDVD HD if that matters), and my most recent J River benchmark was around 3800.

Here's some troubleshooting I've already done with no success: 

1) I updated my graphics drivers,
2) I checked and made sure I have the most recent version of DirectX
3) I ran Dxdiag, and it found no errors
4) I updated to version 104 of J River.
5) I rebooted a few times, and
6) Tried running other 3d graphical applications (games) with no difficulty.

Any advice would be appreciated, as it was working fine two days ago and I'm not aware of any system changes that would cause this :-(

mykillk

• World Citizen
Re: Recent Problem with Red October HQ
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51:08 am »

Try uninstalling MC18 completely, rebooting, and reinstalling. That seems to have fixed this issue for someone else. You may also want to try changing options in the MadVR control panel. Something in there may help. Maybe you changed something there and don't remember? I know you said you checked to make sure your DirectX is the latest, but just to be sure, this is what you'd want to install: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:28:18 am »

I was thinking about a reinstall, but I'm concerned about losing my settings.  I have a lot of complicated DSP set up (based on measurements), and It'd take me a while to get everything reconfigured.  Is there a way to uninstall without losing custom settings?

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:39:20 am »

I have no idea on that one at all, but I'm sure the helpful people here will have an answer for you.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:18 am »

Well, I hazarded a reinstall, and it fixed my Red October problem; it's working again just like before.  Not sure why that should be the case, but my original problem is fixed.  It just created another one for me.

I told it not to remove registry entries in the hopes that my settings would be preserved.  However it reverted my settings to my settings from around three weeks ago?  Not sure why exactly it would revert to settings from that specific moment in time, but about three weeks worth of trial and error with DSP (and paddling around) is now lost, including all my zones/zoneswitch rules :-(  

It would be really handy to have a way to create a snapshot of one's settings, or otherwise be able to copy them off somewhere (unless there's already a way to do that, and I missed it).  I've been working with a really fiddly biamped set-up with homemade speakers and I'd love to be able to save a "last known working configuration."  As it is, I think I'm just going to have to write everything down in case I ever have to reinstall again :-(  If there are going to be periodic reinstalls to get things working, I'm fine with that, but it'd be very nice to have a reliable way to store settings.

To be clear, this is the first actual problem I've had with J River in a few months of fairly intense use (and endless fiddling with settings), and J river does things most other software can't even touch (much less hardware).  Overall I'm a very happy camper, and I'd like to express my appreciation to the devs for a really amazing piece of software, this hiccup notwithstanding.  

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:28:27 am »

You could have tried a library backup. When u restore, you can optionally restore all your settings only, the library only or both.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:12:55 am »

Oh wow, I didn't realize that library back up could do that, and what's more, it auto backs up so I managed to find a version of my settings from three days ago!

I had no idea that functionality was even there, the only threads I could find on the topic (admittedly older ones) said there was no such feature.  Thanks so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up