INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: radio volume question  (Read 849 times)

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
radio volume question
« on: April 12, 2002, 04:06:34 pm »

I'm using MJ 8.0.247.  When I open Web Media and play a station (WQXR), the volume is very weak.  I have to pull up the DSP Equalizer and raise the preamp to max, then adjust my sound card (Voyetra Santa Cruz) to almost max, and then crank up my speakers almost to full in order to get anything like decent volume.  However, if I then stop the radio play, click on the "visit web site" icon, go to the WQXR web page, click on the "listen now" button and Windows Media Player hyperlink, I'm suddenly in MJ's Playing Now page, and the volume almost knocks me out of my chair.  I have to scramble to undo all the changes I made earlier.  I tuned in a few other stations for comparison and most were OK.  A couple were weak, but nothing like WQXR.

If I go directly to the WQXR web site, with MJ closed, and click on listen, I pull up Windows Media Player, and the volume is always fine there.  So the problem lurks somewhere in MJ. I use a broadband cable connection and have no download or bufferring problems.

Any explanations or suggestions?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:radio volume question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 04:08:57 pm »

Tullio,
A lot of people here wondered where you went and were sore about it.  I'm included.

Volume?  Double click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of your desktop.  Adjust wav balance.  Some programs set it.  MJ does not.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2002, 06:41:51 am »

JimH

The short answer to where I've been is Chicago, but I'm puzzled as to why anyone would care much less be sore about it.

As to volume adjustments, I've already done what you suggest.  The Santa Cruz sound card takes over the speaker icon on the task bar so that it's own control panel comes up when it's clicked.  I adjusted both the wave settings and master volume there.   This isn't a settings problem.  It's somehow related to accessing the radio station through MJ Web Media.  That's why I called it to your attention.  If I go directly to the station's web page and listen to it using MJ, the volume is fine.  But if I use the link in Web Media to play it, the volume drops way down.  It's almost as if MJ is acting like an attenuating filter.

As a further check, I tried playing the station through Real Jukebox, and it worked fine too.  I was going to try MusicMatch also, but I couldn't connect unless I signed up for thier premium service.

sekim

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 07:12:12 am »

tullio
>>>> I'm puzzled as to why anyone would care much less be sore about it <<<<

Elegant, informed writing is hard to come by these days. You are certainly in this class.

Just curious tullio, what about unions interests' you? I belong to the UBC.

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2002, 04:08:26 pm »

Machinehead

Would that it were true. I'm afraid I'm just another garrulous geezer who sometimes manages to get the words in the right order. But thanks anyway. I loved the kind words.

I was born in the early Depression in an industrial city. Everyone who was important to me as a child was a union member and, more importantly, a union believer. So, if the Jesuits are right and our beliefs are shaped by age 7, mine were stamped "Union Made". But beyond that, ever since high school I've been fascinated by the apparent incompatibility of America's economic and political systems. The economic system says that an individual can amass as large a fortune as he is able, and the political system says that the rest of us can get together and vote to take it away from him. That's tongue-in-cheek, of course, but the tension between the two systems is genuine, and unions, real unions, provide the best vehicle for keeping capitalism in balance. For a variety of reasons the US has opted to use government regulation as a countervailing force, and the growing gap between rich and poor is painful evidence of the result. This is a thoroughly superficial and inadequate answer to your question, but if I go into detail, this would become a tome.

At the moment I'm working here in Louisville with a group called Jobs with Justice. If you haven't heard of them, you can get more information at www.jwj.org. The immediate aim is to get the city government to pass an ordinance guaranteeing a living wage to city employees and workers at any company that does business with the city. It's increasingly obvious that merely having a job doesn't eliminate poverty. Almost half the people living in Louisville's homeless shelters have regular jobs. We're working with local unions, especially the building trades (including UBC), and at the moment the prospects look fairly good. JWJ has been successful in several cities, and we're hoping to add Louisville to the list.

I have the luxury of being retired and healthy. So I travel a lot, often spontaneously, and consequently drop out of sight from time to time. Not petulance, just itchy feet.

But I really don't want to get involved in any more online debates. They are too frustrating. They seem to follow the same pattern. Someone suggests that cigarettes should be regulated because they pose a health risk. Someone else concurs and supplies a list of statistics and sources that document the risk. A smoker replies with some sound arguments on personal freedom and Constitutional rights. And a genuine debate seems in the making. Then someone jumps in and says that his uncle Harry smoked 4 packs a day from age 12 and lived to be 97. Another brings in her aunt Harriet's case. Then someone offers a film title or song lyric as an example of profound philosophy, and before long we're at the level of a grade school playground squabble, complete with name calling. It's no fun. I enjoy being proved wrong. It means I've learned something. If I'm right, I end up exactly where I started. But too many people in these discussions (or whatever they are) have their fragile egos on the line, and I'd just as soon not participate.

sekim

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2002, 04:23:50 pm »

tullio

Thank you for the reply. Wish you well in your bid with JWJ. It is a tragedy that people work their asses off and still have to go home to a shelter. How close I was before UBC membership isn't even funny. At least I have a fence up between me and the wolves now. Not to mention something to look forward to when I get to where you are. Next Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up