INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convolving hires material breaks playback?  (Read 1212 times)

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Convolving hires material breaks playback?
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:36 am »

Hi,

I have been using the convolver in JRiver for a while now and never had any problems so I can't tell when this problem was introduced. I am using a Lynx Studio AES16e sound card and my PCI latency is very low. I have extremely stable playback.

However, as of late I am having some problems when playing back high resolution material (24/192 and 24/176.4). The playback crackles if I do about anything on that machine in addtion to playing back with JRiver. The source is either APE or FLAC encoded and the CPU hovers around 15% with the majority of the activity tied to one of the cores. The machine is a mini-itx motherboard with a mobile P9600 at 2.66 Ghz.

I do not recall ever having a problem with this but now if I as much a nuts the start button repeatedly I get break up of the sound.

Did anything in the threading model change or did a recent Windows fix cause this? When I increase the priority to Above Normal everything seems to work as usual.

Cheers

Thomas

Addition: I forgot to be explicit but it should be clear from the title that this only happens with the concolver enabled. Without it everything is rock solid. There also seems to be a bit of crackle when the tracks switch without doing anything else. With lower res material everything is fine so I assume it is somehow related to the addtional CPU overhead.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Convolving hires material breaks playback?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:39:54 pm »

JRiver is closed until Monday, but at that time we'll take a look at this issue.  Thanks for the detailed report.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Convolving hires material breaks playback?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »

One addtional piece of information in case that is relevant. I am using remote desktop to coinect to my media machine from my tablet/laptop. Apparently this problem is influenced by the remote desktop settings. The machine has an embedded HD2000 grpahics adapter in the mobile CPU.

When I dial back the graphics resolution that playback with convolution get a lot more stable. I just tried an older version of JRiver where I used Voxengo Pristine Space as the convolver and the problem occurs there as well. I have been using this for years without a problem.

I also used the locally conected prjector and the problem is gone.

This seems to indicate that JRiver is not the problem but some update to Remote Desktop is. I will follow up in that direction.

Cheers

Thomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up