INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lise -- NAB?  (Read 1374 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Lise -- NAB?
« on: April 12, 2002, 03:49:31 pm »

Lise,
Can you give us a few words on what you thought of NAB?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

lise

• MC Beta Team
RE:Lise -- NAB?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2002, 04:43:26 pm »

I can certainly write about NAB in a few words, but Las Vegas would take a book!  I'm still recovering.  Man, what a place.  I can only say that it was, well, overwhelming...and that was before a colleague of ours was married on our last night there by Elvis!

NAB.  It was my first, so I can't really compare to other ones, although I've heard many times, from regulars and cab drivers, that attendance was down to about 70,000.  Many regulars dispute that number, saying that it was much too high; they think that number must include exhibitors.

On the other hand, more hearsay from the regulars indicates that there were few "students" this year; ie the people who were there were those authorized to sign cheques.  So in a sense, it was better than in previous years.

We launched Jonnie's latest product, and it was a huge hit.  Huge.  Although there was a lot of buzz about it before we got there, what was neat was to see people who had no clue about the product go through one of our demos, and have their faces light up.  That part was alot of fun.

I didn't really have much time to walk around and see other exhibitors, and I certainly didn't have time to go into the main convention centre (we were at the Sands).  But apparently there really weren't that many stands with new products.  But then again, I guess that if you have a product it probably takes about 3 NAB's to get pretty much everyone to see it, so I guess that's not so bad.

I can't think of anything else that wouldn't spill over into a chapter on Vegas, other than to say that the schedule is crazy.  Working on your feet from 9 till 6pm makes for a really long day, especially when you only have dinner at 9pm, go to bed at 1am, and then up at 6 again to do it all over again.  And the show dogs are bloody awful!
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2002, 05:10:04 pm »

What is NAB? And what is "Jonnie's new product"?  Pleas excuse my ignorance.

C8
That's right.
I'm cool.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 05:23:15 pm »

Sorry--I guess I was writing more of a personal note to Jim.  Jonnie is my partner (boyfriend sounds like we are 18!), and he has a software company that makes broadcast tv products, multi-zone type channels for example (you know, those cable channels or CNN type channels that have multiple zones on the tv screen).  Anyway, he just came out with the best version ever, very cheap, and really easy to use.  That's why were were at NAB.

As for what it stands for, good question.  I told the Customs & Immigration guys that it was North American Broadcasters something or other, but I was told that it was, um, National Association of Broadcasters?  Oh, I don't know what it stands for, but it is a huge trade show for everyone and anyone who has some technological or computer doodad that people in the broadcasting industry might find interesting.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2002, 05:33:23 pm »

Lise,
"Boyfriend" is OK. There's nothing wrong with feeling 18 as long as possible. I didn't mean to infringe in personal territory. I figured if it was really personal, it would have been in an E-mail instead of the forum. Sorry.
Thanks for the info.
C8
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2002, 06:30:15 pm »

And I can say from meeting him, he deserves Lise.  If anyone does.

Thanks, Lise.  Give Jonnie our best.  And congratulations!
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up