INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI event style suddenly decided it won't send more than 2 channels [Solved]  (Read 2395 times)

Jong

• Citizen of the Universe

It's my week for odd problems!

Suddenly, seemingly at random, when I use event style MC will not play 48/24 6-ch. it insists it can only send 2-ch. Yet my AVR absolutely accepts the above and if I switch to regular WASAPI all is good. I thought reboot might fix it, but no  ? Baffled!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: WASAPI event style suddenly decided it won't send more than 2 channels!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »

Haha!

It's 'cos you're fooling around too much!   :P

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:55 pm »

did you happen to remove the "allow exclusive access" selection?

i've found that turning that off caused me a similar issue while trying to setup multi-zone usage.
pretend this is something funny

Jong

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:30:49 pm »

Found the problem. Trying to solve the TrueHD problem (separate thread) I had pushed the buffer to 500ms. It seems my card cannot buffer 6 channels @48/24 for that long. What I didn't realise is that you have to restart MC for the buffer change to take effect. I thought it had been working during testing but in fact it was still using the default 100ms buffer. When MC restarted it increased it to 500ms and playback failed!

Trouble is I am now using 250ms and that works up to 8-ch 48/24 (I tested), but not sure what will happen with 96/24. I suspect this might have a problem. I can't remember which Blurays I have have a 96/24 soundtrack and MC doesn't scan .iso files for media info  :-\

It looks to me though like I need to live with the default 100ms buffer and that means if (still don't know) this fixes the TrueHD issue I'm stuffed!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:12:52 pm »

What I didn't realise is that you have to restart MC for the buffer change to take effect.

You should only need to stop playback (Stop button) for any audio setting changes to take effect.

Trouble is I am now using 250ms and that works up to 8-ch 48/24 (I tested), but not sure what will happen with 96/24. I suspect this might have a problem. I can't remember which Blurays I have have a 96/24 soundtrack and MC doesn't scan .iso files for media info  :-\

It looks to me though like I need to live with the default 100ms buffer and that means if (still don't know) this fixes the TrueHD issue I'm stuffed!

Why did you change the buffer setting in the first place?  Were you having problems?

The default of 100ms will work well with most hardware.

With a fast computer and internal DAC, a lower value will work as well.  This only matters if you're trying to reduce latency for some reason (like loopback).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jong

Thanks Matt. I am just about sure the buffer change only happens on restart of MC. It's easy for me to test because I can change it to 500ms, play fine, then restart MC and it breaks.

Regarding why I made the change see my TrueHD thread. But it seems the hardware buffer might not be the solution to that problem anyway. Maybe you could discuss with nev what might be causing TrueHD to be problematic.

Jong

Thanks Matt. I am just about sure the buffer change only happens on restart of MC. It's easy for me to test because I can change it to 500ms, play fine, then restart MC and it breaks.
hmm, seems I was wrong. At least I can't make it happen now. Stopping, as you say, seems to be enough. Sorry.

Don't know why my earlier testing didn't pick this up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up