INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Streamline Image Tagging  (Read 1379 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to Streamline Image Tagging
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:28 pm »

Hello,

I'd like some help figuring out how to streamline my image tagging.  I haven't done much with MC18 and images, but recently decided to let MC import my images folder on my NAS.  It imported all of my images, and I learned a few things, made some auto-tagging changes for album name, etc.  One thing that I'd like to be able to do more easily however, is set a tag on an image.  Here's my use case:

When I go out on a photo shoot, I will often take 250 - 300 pictures.  Many of them 5 in two seconds, with the slightest change in exposure.  Then when I'm at home, I'd like to go through those images and say, of these 5, this 1 is the one I want to set for the slideshow.  I made a custom tag called Display, and in my theater view settings made it so Display = No does not show.  This works great, but setting Display to No is a pain in the @$$.  What I really want to be able to do is see the picture on the screen, hit Y/N, Alt+Y, Shift+Y, whatever, to set the tag to Yes or No.  That would enable me to roll through 300 of these much faster than what I have to do now. 

Does that make sense?  Is there something like that which I'm missing?

Thanks!

--Ryan

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: How to Streamline Image Tagging
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »

Use the 5-Star data type for your Display field.  You can then quickly set/clear the field in a column.  Clear means no display, any stars means it should be included for display.  If you want, you could rate each, and always have MC use the highest rated image for your slideshows.  You get the best of both worlds here (you could just use the ratings field for this, if you're not using it currently.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:13:00 am »

Or, you could select all five, right click on the one you want to use for slide shows and stack the five. This will effectively hide the other four, leaving the one right clicked upon as the "top of stack" file, always visible and usable.

If you went this way, your next question would likely be "how do I get to work on the other files in the stack without expanding the stack?" and if you want that in the future, just shout and I'll walk you through it. It's quicker to setup than it is type or read it, so if I do that now, it'll probably put you off, so I won't ;)

I wrote some stuff back in November for inflateable mouse you might find interesting... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75711.msg513096#msg513096

-marko

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:49:14 pm »

Use the 5-Star data type for your Display field.  You can then quickly set/clear the field in a column.  Clear means no display, any stars means it should be included for display.  If you want, you could rate each, and always have MC use the highest rated image for your slideshows.  You get the best of both worlds here (you could just use the ratings field for this, if you're not using it currently.

That seems like a good suggestion, but I must be missing something.  How do I tag the rating field while viewing the photo?

I wrote some stuff back in November for inflateable mouse you might find interesting... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75711.msg513096#msg513096

-marko

I'll read that fully later, looks like I'll have to read that while in front of MC18 to fully get what you're saying.  Thanks!

--Ryan

MrC

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:06 pm »

If you use the Rating field, search for Rating here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys

That said, Marco is the Master Image Guy - he has great suggestions about using Media Center for image management.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

If you use the Rating field, search for Rating here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys

Wow - how have I never noticed that page before....  Or perhaps I noticed it and didn't need it, so I just dismissed it.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas!

--Ryan

MrC

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:39:31 pm »

I did a comprehensive update to the page a week or so back; the ratings shortcut was there, albeit in a slightly different form.  You probably saw the page prior to the update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up