INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding media "Language" tags  (Read 1944 times)

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
Adding media "Language" tags
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »

I have a large collection of multiple regional language movies (south asian). I have them categorized by folders, eg. folder_L1 has movies of language L1, folder_L2 has L2 language, etc. Currently I use browse "disk" and then to the folder to get to the particular language media. I have auto-import setup for each language folder independently.

However, I am trying to grow beyond this and plan to use the MC18's library tagging option.

In the auto-import options, I have added a new "Language:L1" or "Language:L2" tag respectively. The intent is when I want to see recently imported media, I can look at all the recent media on the top and if needed, select a language using the sub-roller. I am seeing multiple issues with this:

1. This way of tagging doesn't seem to reflect on all the movie folders, for e.g. I see Language tag L1 applied to 79 of the 189 movie folders I have in the particular directory.
2. There is an "Unassigned" folder in each of the language tag option which seems to mix the media of all untagged files together. Logically, this should not happen since the auto-import folders are segregated based on their languages.

Spent couple of hours last night trying to find out a way .. any help is appreciated. Thanks!
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Adding media "Language" tags
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:57 pm »

Are you saying that sometimes auto-import is not auto-tagging the new files?  Of note, auto-tagging only occurs for newly imported files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »

All the files have been previously imported. I "edited" the auto-import options and added in the language tags. Doing this way, the program reran the importing. It appeared that although the program reported the importing was done, I did not see the language tags applied immediately. It took awhile (~ half hr) to see the 79 media folders tagged. I assumed this process runs in background to complete the tagging for all the media. However, even after few hours the number of files with the tagging did not change.

To answer your question, yes it appears that auto-tagging was not applied to all the previously imported files. I do not know whether this will work for newly imported files.
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 02:55:24 pm »

Just to clarify, although auto-import runs, the auto-tagging will not be activated for files that already exist in MC's library.

Auto-tagging only works on files that do not currently exist in MC.

You can delete the files from MC's library (and remove them from the Removed database), and re-import them to have auto-tagging rules fire.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »

That explains, thanks!

What is the cleanest way to do this? Should I delete the old library and start a new one? The .xml file that MC18 creates in each movie folder has to deleted as well?

Just to clarify, although auto-import runs, the auto-tagging will not be activated for files that already exist in MC's library.

Auto-tagging only works on files that do not currently exist in MC.

You can delete the files from MC's library (and remove them from the Removed database), and re-import them to have auto-tagging rules fire.
--

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »

Select the files you want removed, and hit Delete.  Only delete from the MC Library.

Create a Smartlist, with the rule ~d=r.  This can be entered into the Smartlist creation dialog that appears when you hit the Import/Export button.

Now you have a list of files that have been previously deleted from MC.  Select and delete those video entries you want to have re-imported.  Only delete from MC's library (the default option).

You may need to configure your auto-import to overwrite non-empty values.

Re-run auto-import.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:28:11 pm »

Why not just select the files based on the path, and then write L1 or L2 in the Language field? Should not have to import it all again? It will probably be faster, right? Or am I missing something?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:24 pm »

That is the better choice.

I was considering that the OP may have wanted the warm-fuzzies that auto-tagging works consistently.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Good suggestions, I tried both the ways. I selected the files in a particular folder and tagged the language. Now with the rules configured, it works well in Theatre mode.

To check the auto-import tagging, I deleted the files from the media library and ran re-import with the "ignore previously deleted files from library" check box option enabled. MC18 ignored all the previously deleted files saying that 4618 files were previously deleted from the library and did not re-import. Searching for it seems like this was a bug reported back in MC14. Has the bug been fixed and am I doing something incorrectly? link to old discussion http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53005.0

What does the command ~d=r do? I looked up the smart list tags by creating multiple checks and copying them over to different languages.
[Media Type]=[Video] [Media Sub Type]=[Movie] +[Language]=[L1] ~sort=[Date Imported]-d
--

MrC

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »

You need to disable Ignore previously deleted files from library before the Delete.  Otherwise, files go into the Removed database, and a re-import will skip these already imported (but deleted) files.  When disabled, the deleted files are not placed into this Removed database.

The ~d=r is a modifier, used to select which database is being queried.  Enter it into the Import/Export button, and OK out, and you'll see the result in the search wizard.

More on the query language:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MrC-temp

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:51:52 pm »

The tagging is quite powerful, reading through it. Thanks for the link!

In trying to re-import the deleted files, I am surprised that I cannot do that anymore since I did not disable Ignore previously deleted files from library in auto-import options BEFORE deleting them from the library. I would have expected this option (or something similar indicating do not add these in the removed database) to show up when I attempt to delete the files from the library rather than an option in the auto-import window, this does not seem to be intuitive.
I deleted 'all' the library files in an attempt to retag the files cleanly. I imagine I may be doing this few more times until the final tagging is well suited to my needs.

a. Is there a way I can save the auto-import settings and re-import them when I clear the library? Currently, when I clear the library all the auto-import configurations are deleted.

b.Also, am I free to create any new 'Genres' or Media-subtypes that may make more sense to type of files I have?

You need to disable Ignore previously deleted files from library before the Delete.  Otherwise, files go into the Removed database, and a re-import will skip these already imported (but deleted) files.  When disabled, the deleted files are not placed into this Removed database.

The ~d=r is a modifier, used to select which database is being queried.  Enter it into the Import/Export button, and OK out, and you'll see the result in the search wizard.

More on the query language:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MrC-temp
--

MrC

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »

Regarding (a), settings are part of the "Library".  You can backup a Library, and Restore, but of course this will bring in the file references too.

The JRiver philosophy is generally to do what is expected by most folks, without excessive prompting.  You delete a file, so you probably don't want it re-imported next auto-import run (which is fairly frequent).  Otherwise files just re-appear.

With the current implementation, you can just uncheck the Ignore feature in auto-import, and your files will re-appear with all their metadata intact.  But it does have its downsides too - you have to work harder to bring stuff back in selectively.  But that's the way it works with auto-import.

Regarding (b), create any new genre's you want - just set the genre for your files to one or more (semicolon-separated) genres.  Media Sub Type's are hard-coded by JRiver.  You have to use another field for this.  You can create expression to switch as needed: your value is used if it is not empty, otherwise use Media Sub Type.

note: Media Sub Type controls and drives certain internal aspects of MC; that's why it is not customizable.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 10:26:09 am »

I had relatively little time to play with the theater view options this week and ran into some issues while configurating. My folders are orgnanized as:

Folder_L1/Movie_1/moviefiles, Folder_L1/Movie_2/moviefiles, ...
Folder_L2/Movie_a/moviefiles, Folder_L2/Movie_b/moviefiles, ...

I want to have the following show view up in theater view mode:

Movie->L1->Movie_1, etc sorted by date created (not imported since if I redo the library this order doesn't seem to be preserved)
Movie->L2->Movie_a, etc sorted by date created

I am unable to get this behavior when I create a new library item, add the following: Media type: video, Media-subtype: Movie, Language:L1 and sort by date imported. I get folders arranged which doesn't make much sense. I also see files in folder Movie_1 being listed as individual items (my older Indian movies have movies split over 3 cd's).

Need help with
a. sorting (newest first) based on which the moviefiles are created and,
b. group all files in folder Movie_1.

This behavior is almost there when I browse Movie->disk (but no sorting).

thanks.

Regarding (a), settings are part of the "Library".  You can backup a Library, and Restore, but of course this will bring in the file references too.

The JRiver philosophy is generally to do what is expected by most folks, without excessive prompting.  You delete a file, so you probably don't want it re-imported next auto-import run (which is fairly frequent).  Otherwise files just re-appear.

With the current implementation, you can just uncheck the Ignore feature in auto-import, and your files will re-appear with all their metadata intact.  But it does have its downsides too - you have to work harder to bring stuff back in selectively.  But that's the way it works with auto-import.

Regarding (b), create any new genre's you want - just set the genre for your files to one or more (semicolon-separated) genres.  Media Sub Type's are hard-coded by JRiver.  You have to use another field for this.  You can create expression to switch as needed: your value is used if it is not empty, otherwise use Media Sub Type.

note: Media Sub Type controls and drives certain internal aspects of MC; that's why it is not customizable.
--

MrC

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:13 am »

Let me suggest first you *ignore* Theater View, and instead use a Standard View: Categories.  It easy faster to configure, and to identify and correct problems with your media.  Once you have things working in Standard View, then it is easy to move to Theater View.

Regarding (a), sorting, use the Custom sorting choice under Sort By: clear out any existing items there, and Add the Date Created field (from the appropriate ascending or descending choices).  You can save this as a Preset if you'll be using it again elsewhere.

Regarding (b), media files will appear as disjoint collections when the values for the grouping differ.  So select all the movie files that should appear in a single group, and use the Tag Action Window to look at each of the relevant fields (Name, Series, etc.).  Check that there is a single value, not the word "varies".  Make corrections there, and the problem should be resolved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up