INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error starting playback engine  (Read 739 times)

sanderson

Error starting playback engine
« on: April 11, 2002, 09:29:47 pm »

When I run an MP3 file my Win2K system loads MJ and produces the following error message: "There was an error starting the playback engine. Make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is not locked by another program."  When I run a midi file MJ plays it just fine.  This result is consistent;  it always behaves this way.

I have a Creative SoundBlaster Live Ultra sound card. I recently added a DVD player with software and an ATI All-in-Wonder video card. The ATI AIW card has sound out into a line-in jack on the back of the sound card. The Play Control panel for enabling sound inputs and adjusting volume and balances seems to function properly. I have it set with all input channels on, that is, not muted. I have no problem running MS Media Player or RealPlayer. But MJ produces the error message whether or not the TV is on and regardless of whether either of the other players are loaded. The Windows Task Manager Applications tab shows that EAX is running. EAX is a sound processor that comes with the Creative SoundBlaster Play Center. I end that task (EAX) and still MJ produces the error message. There are no other applications that have anything to do with sound running. ... I am running MJPlus ver 7.2.280.

What do I need to do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Error starting playback engine
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 05:01:27 am »

Try reinstalling MJ.

Try reinstalling the sound card drivers.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sanderson

RE:Error starting playback engine
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2002, 02:19:32 pm »

Uninstalling and re-installing MJB resolved the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up