INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new install, win 7, MC ver 18, when starting up get the following message...  (Read 1740 times)

atp

" Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

My pc, i full admin rights.
When I Tried to uninstall  I get the same message but it does uninstall.
After reboot I reinstall but get the same message.

During the first install it ran. but locked up. Then that was that as they say.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Sometimes these problems turn out to be related to a virus checker or similar "security" program.

atp

They were all turned off on several of my attempts.

marko

• MC Beta Team

Have you restored from a backup that may also have restored the ntfs 'owner' of files or folders?

Even if you used the same user name, the ntfs owner would be different from that contained in the backup and you would need to 'take ownership' of the files/folders before normal service resumed.

-marko

atp

Initial install.

marko

• MC Beta Team

That's me out of ideas then.

Your problem is almost certainly being caused by something out of the ordinary on your system. Without more information regarding this, I'm not sure how your issue can be resolved.

Regards,
-marko

zxsix

• MC Beta Team

You didn't mention which folder it's complaining about.  It could be the installation folder for the application or it could be the location of your media files, particularly if those files are on a network resource and not on the C: drive.

Even if you are a local administrator, C:\program files\* and C:\program files (x86)\* may not offer full control rights.
I would right-click on the installation folder and choose properties > security tab.
Seize ownership of the Media Center 18 folder.
Set permissions to "full control" for the USERS and ADMINISTRATORS groups.

I didn't have any permissions issues in Win7 or Win8.

atp

You didn't mention which folder it's complaining about.  It could be the installation folder for the application or it could be the location of your media files, particularly if those files are on a network resource and not on the C: drive.

Even if you are a local administrator, C:\program files\* and C:\program files (x86)\* may not offer full control rights.
I would right-click on the installation folder and choose properties > security tab.
Seize ownership of the Media Center 18 folder.
Set permissions to "full control" for the USERS and ADMINISTRATORS groups.

I didn't have any permissions issues in Win7 or Win8.

I'm at wits end.

C:\program files (x86)\jriver is the program folder.
I do have full control.
I once again uninstalled the program and cleaned the registry, then reinstalled after reboot. Same result.

marko

• MC Beta Team

shooting in the dark.....

Did you acquire your installation file from this website?

If not, maybe you have a corrupt installer and downloading from J River might help?

-marko

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Unless I missed it, you haven't mentioned running any antivirus software or similar. Please disable these.

Are you using encryption software like Bitlocker or TrueCrypt?

What is UAC (User Account Control) set to? Go to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts and choose Change User Account Control settings. Disable it entirely (drag the slider down) for the purpose of this.

Once again, I know its been mentioned before but this step is important:
-check your Account from Computer Management (right click 'My Computer', choose Manage). Don't trust Control Panel/User Account/Account type (I'm sure its oke but just to be sure).
- Open Local Users and Groups, select Users and open properties on your Account Name. Check the Members of and make sure Administrators is listed. If not, add it and Logout and Login again.

Disable any antivirus/antimalware/spyware/related software.
Do an uninstall of MC, reboot.
After the reboot, disable any antivirus/antimalware/spyware/related software again.
Check if the following folders exist and delete them:
- C:\program files (x86)\J River
- C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Roaming\J River

If you are getting errors about files or folders that can't be deleted, it means ownership is not set to administrators on some of them. Being an Administrator and having Full control will not solve that, we need to take Ownership.

You need to right click the "Program Files (x86)" folder, Choose Properties
Open security tab
Click Advanced
Select Owner tab
Click Edit (even if it shows Administrators in Current Owner!)
Select Administrators
Tick 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'
Click OK
Close all dialog boxes
Repeat for the "Roaming" folder
and try deleting the "J River" folders again.

Try a reinstall. If that still fails, try installing MC to another drive or another folder entirely, like "C:\Users\Public\J River". Another drive like D: would be better though.

You can also check your eventlogs from Start/Run type 'eventvwr' and see if there are any warnings or errors around the times you attempted an install or uninstall.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I once again uninstalled the program and cleaned the registry, then reinstalled after reboot. Same result.
Registry cleaners cause a lot of problems and should not be used.  Maybe you mean that you chose the registry option when you uninstalled MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up