INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best media server on a NAS with well tagged MC-library?  (Read 3866 times)

Fex

• World Citizen
Best media server on a NAS with well tagged MC-library?
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:29 am »

I use MC since years. Control it over my Tab with Gizmo.

To avoid running the PC all day long I buyed a NAS, like others. After setting it up I have to say: All in all one of the best hardware-things I could do for my home theater.
But there is one big throwback, I knew it before. No media server from MC.

Any suggestions for a good media server with a well tagged library? I tried the NAS-solution (Synology Audio Station) and Bubble. But both are not very impressive. Thanks for every hint.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best media server on a NAS with well tagged MC-library?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »

I have a Synology NAS and I actually think it's the best DLNA server that's available native on a NAS. You are have been using Audio Station which isn't actually the Synology DLNA server. It's their proprietary media server and like most others, it is extremely limited with regard to cataloguing and indexing, offering little more than the standard Artist/Album/Genre type menus. However, its advantage is that you can use the Audio Station web interface and mobile app to play the music.

However, you can use its DLNA Media Server instead. This means that you will only be able to play music through a DLNA player or renderer but you have more control olver how you catalogue your collection. It allows you to construct custom menus from a slightly larger rnage of tags. Not much, but it's better than usual! You have Artist, Album, Genre, Album Artist and Composer.  however, Video and Picture indexing is largely non-existent and you can only browse by folder or date.

It depends exactly how you've tagged your collectionas to whether this would be useful or not.

Apart from that, the third-party Plex is also now available for installation on a Synology NAS but, again, it's not as flexible as J River for cataloguing.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00:03 pm »

csmion,
thanks for your answer.
I think I'll have go on with the proprietary Audio Station and access it (at home) with BubbleUPnP, the best app I found so far. Outside home (phone or tablet) I'll go with the genuine app (DS Audio), concerning this I have to try BubbleUPnP Server.

Thanks anyway.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »

If you're using Bubble UPnP, I suspectit's not Audio Station you're accessing but the DLNA Media Server. In which case you can go into the settings of Media Server to alter the browsing structure.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »

You're right, its's the DLNA Media Server. I set it up to test other servers.

I'm experimentig with BubbleUPnP concerning the browsing structure. That's the main reason, I prefer Bubble so far. And it's not too bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up