INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 bluescreens after trying to install Media 18  (Read 1203 times)

Rustymann

• Recent member
Windows 7 bluescreens after trying to install Media 18
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:45 pm »

Wile trying to install Media center 18, i get an error message that windows is unable to access and run Media center 18.exe. The blue screen dump indicates that the "Process_HAS_Locked_Pages"
Has anyone experienced this ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Windows 7 bluescreens after trying to install Media 18
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:27:16 pm »

This is not normal.

Try disabling any security software.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »

The blue screen dump indicates that the "Process_HAS_Locked_Pages" Has anyone experienced this ?

If it's an actual blue screen that appears - this is an indicator hardware level/driver issues.

If you know how - you could download little utilities like BlueScreenView or WhoCrashed - which will analyze the minidump files saved by Win7 after a BS occurs. These tools will then indicate where the hardware fault occurred and what file it occurred in.

That it occurred while attempting to install MC or start it is a bit odd  - but a true blue screen almost never has anything to do with a desktop app like MC

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

www.osronline.com, I just finished posting about my own bluescreen adventures  ::).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:03:28 pm »

The blue screen dump indicates that the "Process_HAS_Locked_Pages"

Process has locked pages is a driver problem.  It means that a hardware driver either didn't unlock memory pages that it locked when starting an I/O operation, or that it tried to release pages which were already unlocked.  Essentially, leading to a low-level memory "leak" in the driver.

On the page I linked above, Microsoft has instructions for enabling a registry flag that causes Windows to track all locked pages.  This should allow you to fairly easily diagnose which driver is causing the leak (when it happens again, the driver should be listed in the bluescreen message).

Don't leave this registry flag enabled once you figure it out, though, as it has performance implications.

My guess is either sound device drivers or video card drivers, but it could be any of a whole swath of things.

PS.  I should add... It can also be caused by a hardware problem, most likely bad RAM.  If you just added new RAM, or you've seen other random instabilities, it might be worth checking that.  Or, if when you enable the flag above, you see a variety of different hardware devices causing the issue, it could be bad RAM or a failing memory controller (typically on the CPU die anymore, unless it is an old CPU).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up