INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Desktop Connection issue with V18  (Read 1521 times)

Cazzesman

• Recent member
Remote Desktop Connection issue with V18
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:10:55 am »

I currently have a home PC that is networked via LAN to a mini PC that is for pure Audio (CAPS V3 Lagoon).     The main PC has MC V17 installed.

The Lagoon has windows 8 - 32bit OS and MC V18 installed.    I run the Lagoon via USB to Audiophilleo2 (AP2) direct into my Digital Amp.     It all works flawlessly.

The Lagoon is meant to run 'headless' but I have a monitor, mouse and keyboard attached for the initial setup.   
I have set up a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to the Lagoon from the main PC to perform maintenance and operate MC V18.     

The RDC works fine to the Lagoon and MC up until I try and play a song.   

Via RDC the MC V18 will not recognise the AP2 in the 'Output Option'.   Operating the Lagoon directly it will find the AP2 in 'Output Options',  but via the RDC to the Lagoon it will only give me the 'Output Option' of 'Remote Audio'.    So because the RDC won't acknowledge the presence of the AP2 it won't play any tracks.     

Any suggestions.   

Regards Cazzesman

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Desktop Connection issue with V18
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:06:51 am »

Try using UltraVNC.

I've been a skeptic about UltraVNC myself as I've been using RDP exclusively for as long as I can remember (which is probably as long as it exists :P).

UltraVNC solved a lot of issues for me and with the mirror driver (in the addon package) the speed is very good. Drawback of the mirror driver is that it doesn't support fancy Aero but I disable that on the HTPC anyways and use classic (NT4 theme :P).

csimon

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:01:17 am »

Remote Desktop gives you a virtual session, like a terminal, and being able to access hardware on the server is not always possible.

VNC, on the other hand, is a remote control application as if you are actually sitting at the server and doesn't give you a virtual session, so you have full access to the server's hardware. But VNC may be a little slow in screen redraws.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:07:25 am »

But VNC may be a little slow in screen redraws.

Only without the mirror driver. With it, its actually faster than remote desktop but you will have to live without aero eye candy.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:06:15 am »

Did you try to configure RDC to use remote resources?

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:21 am »

In your remote session, make sure you're not set to play audio on the local machine (the one you're connecting with). When connecting, just press the "Show Options" button on the lower left-hand corner.

Cazzesman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:59:45 pm »

In your remote session, make sure you're not set to play audio on the local machine (the one you're connecting with). When connecting, just press the "Show Options" button on the lower left-hand corner.

:-* :-* :-* And the prize goes to.................................... MGD.   Your answer worked a treat.  RDC now sees the AP2.  Thanks to all who replied.

Happy listening

Regards Cazzesman

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »

Why are you using RDC when you could just use JRiver on the main computer to control JRiver on the CAPS Lagoon?

Cazzesman

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »

:-[   Ummmmmm that is probably an excellent question.     My answer would be.............just because I hadn't thought about it but I'm open to suggestions.  :-\

I'm running JRMC17 on the main PC and just installed JRMC18 on the Caps.   At this stage I have loaded about 60gig of music onto the SSD HD in the Lagoon and I'm waiting on a NAS server to arrive to load on the other 250gig.  

What do you suggest mojave?   Anything that makes life easy.   Once I get things sort I was actually going to disconnect the LAN from main PC to Lagoon and run the Lagoon with a tablet with JRemote or similar.

Regards Cazzesman

Pages: [1]   Go Up