INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to Media/Library Server with a Proxy/SSH Tunnel  (Read 2085 times)

dbdog

• Recent member
Connecting to Media/Library Server with a Proxy/SSH Tunnel
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:45 pm »

I've been running Media Server at home so I can listen to my home library from work. Recently I set up a SSH Tunnel (Proxy) on my home computer to route all internet traffic through a proxy server using Kitty. This has caused my connection from work to stop working, I suppose since my router settings where my port forwarding was set up are being bypassed. 

I've read in an old post and in the wiki something about setting up an exception in "do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with" box in my LAN settings (Win XP SP3). Does anyone know if that applies to my situation? Would I put my work IP address on the exception box? I'm a little lost here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
dbdog

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Connecting to Media/Library Server with a Proxy/SSH Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:31 am »

Whatever port forwards you set in your router, you would then need to set instead via SSH.  This allows the traffic to flow through the SSH tunnel.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:53 am »

From work, you want your SSH connection to home to forward local port 52199 to remote port 52199.  On your local MC, you'll connect to a library located at localhost:52199.  Do this via Add Library under File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library...

The way port forwarding works is by the local SSH client usurping the port you specify for the port forward, and asking the remote SSH server to do the same thing.  The client listens for connects on the localhost to that port, and forwards all traffic to the remote SSH server at the remote port.  The SSH server then forwards that tunneled traffic to the destination port (and this can be on the SSH server's machine, or on a different IP in the network).  Think of it as plumbing - network connections create a socket connection, which is effectively a connection from one machine to another using the IP address/port pair.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:26 pm »

Let's step back a moment, as it appears I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish.  I think I understand you're at work, and want to connect to your home's MC.

What is the purpose of your SSH connection at home, and to what is it connected?  You say its a proxy for all internet activity, but is this an accurate statement (you're proxying DNS traffic, and web traffic, and SMTP traffic, and ....)?  Perhaps you can clarify this portion.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »

Ok, I see.  You're not tunneling "internet traffic", but HTTP (web) traffic.  And only SOCKS capable programs that are configured to use SOCKS will be using the proxy.

You may not be aware of this, but your ISP will still see the places you might be visiting (if they wanted to), as your DNS requests go out over their lines unencrypted.  So they'll see your requests for addresses such as stealingmovies.com or skinnydippingdogs.com.

At any rate, none of this is relevant to MC's library server, as it is not communicating using the HTTP protocol.

It is likely that the problem you are experiencing is due to using the access key, where MC does use HTTP to connect to JRiver's server in order to broker the connection between your work and your home's MC system.  You don't need to use the access key method, and can instead use your home's WAN IP address.  Keep your router's port forwarding 52199 as you've had it and use Library Manager to connect to a library at your WAN IP address.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:49 am »

It is true, but I think the misunderstanding is in the words "local network"  ::).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:02 am »

The only ways to really hide your Internet activity (including DNS) are:

1. To use exclusively Tor/Onion, which is annoying (and, even then, there have been exploits of the Onion network before).
2. To use a private VPN.  Of course, then you're just "trusting" the VPN company, so, you have to be sure you pick one you can trust.

SSH tunneling can be handy in some circumstances, but it is essentially useless for what you're trying to accomplish.  You'd be MUCH better off with an anonymous VPN provider.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:36:52 pm »

Probably this is not the forum to take this subject much deeper than this.

Just keep in mind - it is always a mistake to think one can outmatch someone at their own game.

dbdog

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up