INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fresh Win8 Install - Imported Library, YouTube and Bluray are all broken  (Read 1861 times)

Ardemus

• Recent member

I just performed a clean install of Windows 8.  I was nearing the end of my Media Center trial so I need to buy or quit soon.  I'm using Media Center 18.0.106 (The current stable channel), and I have two problems and a question:

1. Media Center will not download YouTube videos through the Chromium or IE browser engine.  It is the same behavior that I reported a few point releases ago, where the video appears to download instantly and the downloads window shows Failed (9).

2. Media Center throws an error when I try to play my new season of Big Bang Theory on Bluray.  This is the first and only Bluray I've every tried with Media Center.  Media center clearly supports Bluray playback, as repeated on the home and video pages.  However, Media Center complains that I don't have Bluray reader software and recommends a couple of $60 options.  JRiver *is* Bluray software...

3. The drive letter for my data drive changed from D: to R: in my new computer.  I could probably force Windows 8 to change it to D, but is there a way to make Media Center look on R instead of D when I restore my libraries?

Thank you.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Fresh Win8 Install - Imported Library, YouTube and Bluray are all broken
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:29:57 am »

2) JRiver is NOT BluRay software like PowerDVD etc. (~$100 options). It's a LOT more than those programs. MC supports BD playback, but: It relies on OpenSource decoders for the video and audio like MPC-HC does. Like those programs it requires a BD decrypter like AnyDVD-HD. AnyDVD HD is a great investment. Even the commercial BD players force you to upgrade to new paid versions when new encryption standards come up. The BD support in MC is pretty good, actually, and the staff work closely with the cutting edge developers of open source decoders and renderers. Another advantage MC has over commercial BD software is that Cinavia protection will not affect BD playback in MC. I think the way MC is developing, it'll be the best way to watch BD rips that you make from your discs soon.

3) In standard view (assuming only the disk letter has changed):

• Restore a library
  • Library will think files are in D:\, but they are in R:\. Therefore all files will appear as not found.
  • Select a file or few
  • Right click: Go to library tools> Rename, move, copy files
  • In the upper left select update database to point to new location
  • Uncheck the options Directories and Filename. Check Find and Replace
  • Find: D:\, replace with R:\
  • Enter

MC should now find the file(s) you had selected for this operation, because it is now looking in R:\

Once you get the hang of this, you can select all the files in your library in one go. If you've changed more that the drive letter, use the rename, move and copy files tool to get MC's database synced with the files' actual location as required.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:15:35 am »

3) In standard view (assuming only the disk letter has changed):

• Restore a library
  • Library will think files are in D:\, but they are in R:\. Therefore all files will appear as not found.
  • Select a file or few
  • Right click: Go to library tools> Rename, move, copy files
  • In the upper left select update database to point to new location
  • Uncheck the options Directories and Filename. Check Find and Replace
  • Find: D:\, replace with R:\
  • Enter

Safer to add: change drop down for type of rename to 'update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)'.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 02:54:47 am »

Safer to add: change drop down for type of rename to 'update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)'.

Fifth item on my list.  ;)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:22 am »

Fifth item on my list.  ;)

Doh!  That is what I get for posting past bed time.  Missing that one option has caused me no end of trouble in the past, in the right conditions having it try to do a file move (when the file isn't actually moving) can result in the file going away completely.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »

2) JRiver is NOT BluRay software like PowerDVD etc. (~$100 options)...MC supports BD playback, but: It relies on OpenSource decoders for the video and audio like MPC-HC does. Like those programs it requires a BD decrypter like AnyDVD-HD...

Thank you for the prompt reply.  I was afraid of that and it's very disappointing.  I've invested quite a bit of effort based on JRiver's claims that (paraphrased), "JRiver Media Center supports every media format, including DVD and Bluray. You never need to download, install, or configure any decoders or codecs, they are all included or downloaded silently as needed." Does Media Center need an additional commercial software decoder for any other media formats it claims to support?

As a side note, Bluray software like PowerDVD is always "on sale" for ~$60 (PowerDVD Ultra is currently $61.95). I already own the Bluray version of Corel WinDVD but they have no plans to support Windows 8.

Edit (2013-01-13 ~15:30) - Corrected based on reply #7 by BartMan01

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:46 pm »

Doh!  That is what I get for posting past bed time.  Missing that one option has caused me no end of trouble in the past, in the right conditions having it try to do a file move (when the file isn't actually moving) can result in the file going away completely.

It's even worse when you check update only, when you actually meant to rename/move.
In this case however, it wouldn't matter either way as the files are already 'missing' and the filename part isn't being changed. Worst case: restore library and try again.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:58:12 am »

Thank you for the prompt reply.  I was afraid of that and it's very disappointing.  I've invested quite a bit of effort based on JRiver's claims that (paraphrased), "JRiver Media Center supports every media format, including DVD and Bluray. You never need to download, install, or configure any decoders or codecs, they are all included or downloaded silently as needed." Does Media Center need an additional commercial decoder for any other formats it claims to support?

MC doesn't require ANY commercial codec (coder/decoder) to play supported content.  MC plays back Blu Ray content, but does not use the java menu system and can't decrypt protected discs (thanks to draconian copy protection laws).

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »

I agree that copyright is abused and DRM is generally disgusting. Regardless, JRiver needs to spell out the limits to Media Center's media support.  I don't think our opinions about DRM have anything to do with it.

MC doesn't require ANY commercial codec (coder/decoder) to play supported content.
OK, I don't really care what term we use. I updated my post to say software, but you can pick whatever works for you.

MC plays back Blu Ray content, but does not use the java menu system and can't decrypt protected discs (thanks to draconian copy protection laws).
So JRiver should also claim to support videos from Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Hulu Plus, and iTunes? The fact is that Netflix, DVD, Blu-ray and many other formats are typically copy protected. If JRiver wants to claim support for the rare DRM Free commercial Blu-ray disc then they have to say it that way. Media Center's website claims Blu-ray support without qualifications and that's misleading.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »

FYI - Question #2 was split from this topic and continued here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up