INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I set File Order When burning mp3 Data CD's?  (Read 1132 times)

Sentient

• Recent member
  • AerospaceSpace, Folk Music
How do I set File Order When burning mp3 Data CD's?
« on: April 11, 2002, 11:30:59 am »

I have gotten about 10Gig worth of CDs recorded now and have started making data CD's of mp3s to play on my car deck.  When I recorded the original CDs using MJ, I put all the tracks on my hard drive in artist/album/ folders.  I made the Filenames begin with the track number like "01-A Calling On Song.mp3"  This should work well when I plop 7 CDs onto a single data mp3 cd.  I will put them on the data CD in an /Album/ folder so that I get the most mileage out of the decks display.  It displays tag title, tag artist, and folder name, so using one layer of folders named with album titles I can get the car deck to display everything I want.  Anyway, and here's the rub, when I try to make a compilation mp3 cd I create a folder for each compilation, for example rock/  or celtic/ and put the tracks into it.  The problem is, the car deck plays all the track 01's first, the 02's second, etc.  

How do I force the order?  I tried using a playlist and burning from it, no joy.  It seems to me that the burning dialog box should be able to force new 8.3 filenames onto the cd so that desired order can be set.  Does anyone know how to do this with MJ?  I use 7.2.  If not MJ, is anyone aware of a reasonable alternative to get what I need?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

Sentient
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.

Alonso Nefarious

RE:How do I set File Order When burning mp3 Data CD's?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 02:31:27 pm »

Have not done it, but looiking is seems like you can do what you want easily in v8.  FWIW v8 is quite stable and too sweet.  Time to make the jump.

If still no joy then Nero is the industrial strength solution.

-Nef

Sentient

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 03:42:47 pm »

Does 8 do what I need?  Has anyone actually succeeded in this task using it?

Sentient
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 08:15:31 pm »

This works but it's not what you mean.
Select your compilation files and copy them elsewhere on your hardrive
Import the copied files and sort them by date.  This should put them in the same order as the selection that you copied? Yes?
select them and enter the file properties dialogue.
From tools choose "fill track numbers from list order".
Then from tools choose "rename files from properties" and use a template like "track#-artist-name"
Rename the Album on the copied files to the Playlist name

Then burn them renamed babies to your MP3 CD in one folder under album.
(then delete the copies from your HD)

I've done 10 CDs each with around 9 playlists of about 20 songs like this.
Once you get a rhythm going you can do a playlist in about the time it takes to copy the files |PLS| 90 seconds.

Sentient

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 01:44:09 pm »

Thanks Calithumpian, that looks like a workable solution.  I will give it a try tonight.

Alonso, I tried Nero, it didn't work any better than MJ.  I put it in iso-9660 mode and renamed the 8.3 filenames to try to rearrange the order, but had no joy.
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up