INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD-PVR and Crappy Power Supplies  (Read 9147 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
HD-PVR and Crappy Power Supplies
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:54 am »

So, this week at some point I didn't detect immediately, my HD-PVR stopped working.  I spent hours tonight trying to fix it, with no luck.  It would usually just not "beep" in Windows at all when I'd plug it in, and the blue status light on the front would light up dimly.

Sometimes, after unplugging it and re-plugging it, I could get Windows to detect it for a few minutes, but it would show up as an unrecognized device and I couldn't get it to go any further (and it would usually vanish after a minute or two and the blue light would dim again).

I was a hop-skip-and-a-jump from pulling the darn thing out and buying a new one from Amazon, when I found some references online to crappy power supplies included with them.  Now, I've had almost no problems with mine since the day I got it (unlike others out there) and mine is a later-model, though not the latest.  In any case, I decided to investigate further, since I was pretty convinced it was totally dead.

I dug through my dusty bins, and found another 5v power adapter that had a matching plug.  It seems to use the same adapters that are common for cheap desktop switches and whatnot.  The one I found was for an old Vonage router.  In any case, it worked!  The thing roared back to life and is working fine.  Apparently if you call Hauppauge, they'll send you a free replacement without much trouble, so I think I'll call them tomorrow.

So... Word to the wise... If you have a HD-PVR, and it suddenly dies on you, you might want to check the power supply.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bob

• Administrator
Re: HD-PVR and Crappy Power Supplies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:51 pm »

So, this week at some point I didn't detect immediately, my HD-PVR stopped working.  I spent hours tonight trying to fix it, with no luck.  It would usually just not "beep" in Windows at all when I'd plug it in, and the blue status light on the front would light up dimly.

Sometimes, after unplugging it and re-plugging it, I could get Windows to detect it for a few minutes, but it would show up as an unrecognized device and I couldn't get it to go any further (and it would usually vanish after a minute or two and the blue light would dim again).

I was a hop-skip-and-a-jump from pulling the darn thing out and buying a new one from Amazon, when I found some references online to crappy power supplies included with them.  Now, I've had almost no problems with mine since the day I got it (unlike others out there) and mine is a later-model, though not the latest.  In any case, I decided to investigate further, since I was pretty convinced it was totally dead.

I dug through my dusty bins, and found another 5v power adapter that had a matching plug.  It seems to use the same adapters that are common for cheap desktop switches and whatnot.  The one I found was for an old Vonage router.  In any case, it worked!  The thing roared back to life and is working fine.  Apparently if you call Hauppauge, they'll send you a free replacement without much trouble, so I think I'll call them tomorrow.

So... Word to the wise... If you have a HD-PVR, and it suddenly dies on you, you might want to check the power supply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Can't tell you the number of bad power supplies from these on all sorts of equipment I've had trouble with, it's in the dozens.
I'm also not convinced the problem "ended" with stuff made after 2010 as the article implies.
Also, it's not just Taiwanese caps, I've seen it mostly on Chinese caps (presumably contract made for Taiwanese manufacturers).

In the meantime, I've got a 60 year old Motorola tube radio with plenty of electrolytic caps that are in perfect working condition.

There should be a class action on this issue considering the uncountable hours it's cost me dealing with them.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: HD-PVR and Crappy Power Supplies
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:45 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Yeah.  I figure it is caps.  Frankly, I've had the thing for two or three years going nearly 24/7, so it lived up to its $15 potential.

We've had more than one or two TVs go though at the office, and well before their expected lifespans.  Lost two of the Samsungs in our video wall (it is shut down now after the second failure, post-warranty, of course).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up