INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying the license  (Read 1167 times)

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
Buying the license
« on: April 10, 2002, 11:08:43 pm »

I'm willing to buy the license. However I've not been able to find the details about the "security" of the credit card transaction. In addition I understand that the details of the credit card are stored in the license file: would it be possible for a third part cookie to extract those details?
Tks for help
Luigi1943

Scronch

RE:Buying the license
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 12:23:54 am »

Cookies and credit cards are a real problem.

Scronch

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 05:10:43 am »

The transaction is encrypted.  

Jim Hillegass
JRiver
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 10:15:56 pm »

Thanks Jimh for the answer about the encryption of the credit card transaction... but I still miss a comment about the storage of the credit card details (in clear, I understand) in the license file
Luigi1943

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 10:46:34 pm »

OK, I'm going to take a shot at this.  If I'm way off, somebody tell me.

The Internet has [has had] a problem.  When you buy something with a credit card, all the information is encrypted for transmission to the merchant.  The problem is that the merchant then decrypts this information, and for some period of time (sometimes indefinitely), your credit card information is on the merchant's computer(s), which are sometimes vulnerable to being hacked.

Now, it is my conjecture that JRiver is avoiding this trap by not keeping your credit card information on their servers for very long.  After processing the transaction, instead of deleting the info, they encrypt it into your registration file.  This is presumably for some future use, perhaps for buying updates; I can't imagine that they are using credit card numbers as identifiers.

There is a company called RG Tecq that has been addressing this credit card problem for some time now.  I own stock in RG Tecq.  They are a self-proclaimed 'talented team of International Research and Development Security experts and "White Hat" Hackers with a vision of creating a company to be a leading provider of secure encryption systems and technology'.  The background of these 'world-class security experts' includes military security work, for example, on co-founder Rogel: 'During the Gulf War, Mr. Patawaran was issued Top Secret Clearances by the United States Department of Defense in order to develop Electronic Countermeasures for the United States Air Force.'  They also have music experience, for example, Greg Chapman 'had been a prominent music industry executive and an early innovator in applying Internet technology to the recording industry'.

They have an online demo of their credit card technology on their website under products.  The concept is pretty much summed up by this link:

Their website is at http://www.rgtecq.com.

JimH may want to talk to RG Tecq about their credit card security products, and perhaps about their megaplayer product, 'a secure media player designed to protect digital media from download piracy and peer-to-peer file sharing'.

Scronch

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2002, 04:55:59 am »

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to say more.  Here are the reasons:

a.  I don't want to provide clues to hackers.

b.  It's pointless for me to say to you "it's secure".  If I'm dishonest, it has no meaning.  If I'm honest but stupid (more likely), it has no meaning.  If I'm honest and not stupid, there's no point in telling you that, since you probably won't believe it anyway.

Sorry if this leaves you hanging...
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2002, 05:34:19 am »

>> If I'm honest but stupid (more likely)
LOL

We all have our moments
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up