INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FF/REW skipping with freezing frames  (Read 1541 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
FF/REW skipping with freezing frames
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:57 am »

On both my pc and the htpc any movie, whether its mkv, dvd or bluray doesn't matter, fast forward just freezes and starts skipping the movie. 5X is only slightly faster than normal playspeed. Increasing the FF/REW speed does increase the speed, but not anywhere close to the speed it should be (5x, 20x, 100x).

This is supposed to be smooth, right?

I know about this thread from Jong but I don't think there was solution and it only applies to dvd's.

This on ROHQ with HW accelleration and videoclock enabled.

On ROStd its also skipping, but the freezes between frames are shorter. Toggling HW accelleration or videoclock makes no difference.

Does anyone have a clue?

Htpc is an i5/16GB/Nvidia GT430.
PC is an i7/16GB/Nvidia GTX580.

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: FF/REW skipping with freezing frames
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33:30 am »

This has never worked well for me either. It's the same if I hold down the "right" button to advance through a movie.... everything freezes, but it is advancing. I kind of guess when I think it might be at the point I'm after, and let go the button to see how close I got!!

I thought this was just the way it was, so never mentioned it before.

Jong

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:40:56 am »

I see you posted something similar in the beta .118 thread. Have you tested with .112? Because there is something definitely broken with the latest beta probably due to trying to fix the TrueHD issue.

Jong

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:26 am »

Not that it helps much, but just tested mkv and FFW/REW working fine here with .112.

Jong

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 04:54:37 am »

I see you posted something similar in the beta .118 thread. Have you tested with .112? Because there is something definitely broken with the latest beta probably due to trying to fix the TrueHD issue.
no, that's not it. Just tried latest beta here and mkvs still seek fine. Sorry for beta discussion in this forum!  :-[

Jong

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:07:11 am »

What keys are you guys pressing. I realise there are at least 3 ways to "advance" or "move back".

If you right click on the video and choose "player/seek" you will see there are keys to "rewind", "fast forward" (the keys I was talking about in the DVD thread) and "jump forward" / "jump back". In addition you can use the arrow keys to directly move the progress bar position. The latter option works for me but IS somewhat erratic. The other two options work perfectly for me with the exception of "fast forward"/"rewind" for DVDs (using ROHQ).

"fast forward"/"rewind" changes between x5, x20 and x100 if you press the key multiple times. I have these keystrokes programmed on my Harmony's FFW/REW keys.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:13 am »

I'm using the FF or REW buttons on my remote, ctrl-arrow keys do the same. It's obvious from the 5x, 20x and 100x on the OSD.

Explain to me please, when you thinks it works good, is it smooth, like its playing faster or is it showing still frames, 2 or 3 per second?

Maybe I don't remember it well, I thought 5x used to be smooth, not a slideshow.

Either way, I've noticed that some mkv's show more frames, 2 or 3 per second and update the OSD with each new frame. Others show a frame for 10 seconds or longer, then suddenly jump 1:30 minutes forward to show a new frame.

When I check CPU load its at 19%.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05:46 am »

I see still frames (eg it is like it is a Jump more than FFD or RWD).
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:23:15 am »

At 5x, approximately how frequent are the frames?

Jong

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:34 am »

Sorry, yeah, still frames here, but with a nice regular cadence, that is what I meant when I said it was working well. Cant remember the FPS, but 2-3 per sec sounds about right. I'll try a few different media soon and see if I can spot any difference in FPS between them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up