INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions on ripping bluray box with specials  (Read 1325 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Need suggestions on ripping bluray box with specials
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:16:13 am »

I've had this bluray box sitting on a shelf since the day it came out: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Edition. Two bluray discs per film, two DVD discs with Appendices per film and a DVD with Behind The Scenes per film.

I'd like to rip them and play this stuff with MC but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this. I guess there are several ways to go about this each with pros and cons.

But I'm sure I'm not the only one with this dilemma and I'd like to hear how others have done it and why you chose to do it that way.

So let's hear it :P.

Thanks!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Need suggestions on ripping bluray box with specials
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

Oke, so I'm thinking ... and it hurts .. ::)

I'm ripping all the BD's and DVD's with AnyDVD HD to folders. The film BD's contain commentaries and a secret goodie which isn't worth saving. I reckon I'll demux and remux with just the audio track I care about and the dutch subtitles (I don't care for commentaries).

The DVD's aren't worth demuxing, won't save much anyways so I guess I'll leave those intact as VIDEO_TS folders.

But this gives me 15 folders, what are good options to organise this or am I going about this the wrong way?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 01:29:28 pm »

Well - it depends how much effort you want to go to.  There was a thread a while ago about how to combine each half into one movie - http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=48641  I also tried to do this be creating a new MPLS using BDEdit but ran out of time working out the ins and outs of the IF.
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:48:58 pm »

Oow that thread lays out the steps quite nicely. Thanks!

I'll go over that this week to try it out. I wonder if I can do something similar with the dvd's  ::).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:15:04 pm »

It would have been much more straight forward joing them up if they did not encode a few secounds of blank on the end!  Working out all the timing changes for chapters, subs etc was a PITA
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:08:23 am »

Did you ever manage to finish this?

Yesterday I found out that the nightlies of handbrake support bluray subtitles so I decided to give this another try and combine the 2 parts of each movie into a single mkv. Works very well and it does save quite a bit of storage :).

Basically I ripped the BD's with Anydvd to a folder, I then used TSmuxerGUI to a new bluray folder to strip it from anything I don't need and used the split & cut tab on the first part of each movie to remove the trailing blank. When all 6 are done, I used TSmuxerGUI to join the 2 parts again into a single bluray folder. Finally, handbrake to turn it into an mkv, compress it a bit, passthrough for DTS-MA track and the icing on the cake, keep the subtitles.

I used the highest advised quality settings for the video and enabled film tuning. The first movie shrunk from 59GB to 16GB, 2nd movie shrunk from 60GB to 19GB and 3rd movie is 68GB but still processing, I expect it to end up around 23GB. First two are perfect, no sync issues, playback is good and no visual artifacts whatsoever and the transition from part 1 to part 2 is smooth and invisible.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:19:34 am »

I worked out how to create new MPLS for BD's that did not offer individual Playlists for each EPS of TV Shows on BD and that then worked well with the auto create Title Particles in MC for this very oddly created BD.  I did not try going back and doing the same with LOTR as I had already used the method posted above to create the single files for each of the tree parts of LOTR.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up