INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an existing metadata tag to indicate an SACD?  (Read 2319 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Is there an existing metadata tag to indicate an SACD?
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »

I do not currently have any ability to rip the SACD layer of my hybrid SACDs so I rip the CD layer from such discs. However, I would still like to flag these FLAC files with a tag that indicates the original disc was an SACD.

Is there an existing metadata tag in MC18 that was designed for this purpose (a rather cursory check suggests the answer is no) or do I need to create a custom tag?

David

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there an existing metadata tag to indicate an SACD?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:47:19 pm »

I would just give it a keyword - I've been using keywords to mark whether discs are a bonus disc, a single, remixed etc.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:52:41 pm »

When you say "keyword", do you mean what MC calls a 'library field' (with the option to be saved as a file tag)? In other words, are you using 'keyword' for what I was calling a metadata tag?

David

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:00:09 pm »

If you right-click the column headings, you can add "Keywords" to the list, or in the tagging pane, click the icon in the top left and you can choose "Also show > Keywords"

This gives you a field to add keywords to tracks:

The nice thing about this is that it remembers any keywords you have previously entered and it gives you checkboxes for them. So in your case, you would add one for "SACD".

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »

Ah, so 'Keywords' is a special form of tag that can take multiple values? That sounds quite useful. Many thanks for that tip.

David

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:05:35 pm »

Keywords is just one of many stock MC fields.  It is used for things like 6233638 suggests, or to add keywords to photos, etc.  Use it however it suits your needs.  Keywords are nicer the simpler hierarchical arrangements - you can apply one or more keywords to a file, and those keywords help you later query or display values for media.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:13:39 pm »

Keywords is a very slickly implemented feature that is great for doing searches or using rules.

But, for the specific purpose - delineating different versions of albums - I've found "Description" to be more helpful, because A) I can create a column in Playing Now for it, and b) I can put any type of version information in it.

So, the Description field can be " Redbook layer from 2009 Hybrid SACD " or  "XRCD 2011 Remaster by Alan Yoshida" or "2010 Analogue Productions SACD converted to 24/88.2 FLAC" or " Vinyl Rip of original 1966 US Pressing " etc. etc.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:27:03 pm »

Keywords is a very slickly implemented feature that is great for doing searches or using rules.

But, for the specific purpose - delineating different versions of albums - I've found "Description" to be more helpful, because A) I can create a column in Playing Now for it, and b) I can put any type of version information in it.

So, the Description field can be " Redbook layer from 2009 Hybrid SACD " or  "XRCD 2011 Remaster by Alan Yoshida" or "2010 Analogue Productions SACD converted to 24/88.2 FLAC" or " Vinyl Rip of original 1966 US Pressing " etc. etc.
That's true, but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I use the description field to specify what version of an album I have, as you have shown above.

But when I'm just wanting to see all SACD tracks, Vinyl Rips, Bonus discs etc. I find keywords to be more useful because I can just search for "kw=SACD" or "kw=Vinyl" for example.

The reason you don't see any tags for SACD in my screenshot though, is because I ended up borrowing a PS3 to rip my discs and they are all DSF/DFF files, so I just have a library view that only shows that type.
I should probably add a SACD keyword to them for the sake of consistency though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up