INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you store tag changes in a flac file?  (Read 1086 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
How do you store tag changes in a flac file?
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:29:15 am »

I upgraded to version 18 and installed it on my lap top. The old tags in genre and album appeared, no problem. I then did some extensive editing and corrections in the genre field and updated the library from the tags. I assumed the changes would be stored in the file since the  "Store in file tags (when possible)" box was checked in library options. Next I moved the files to a new computer with a new install of MC18. THE RECENT TAG TAG CHANGES WERE NOT THERE. How do I fix this? Why were the changes not stored in the flac file?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you store tag changes in a flac file?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:29 am »

I then did some extensive editing and corrections in the genre field and updated the library from the tags.

Do you mean the other way around?  Update Tags (From Library).

This should work, certainly for the [Genre] tag, even without forcing the tag writing with the Update Tags command.  In-file tag changes can't commit if the file in question is locked (by another process or by MC itself due to playback), of course, but otherwise, they "just happen".

Are you sure the second copy of MC was actually a "clean" copy with a fresh Library?

Keep in mind, even when you "delete" a file from MC, it continues to "remember" it via the Deleted Items database.  When it re-imports the same file, it "reactivates" the old database record, and doesn't "reimport" it.

Of course, even then, AutoImport should pick up tagging changes if the Update for external changes option is enabled in the Auto-Import options section.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

csimon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07:27 am »

Are the edited tags still present and correct in the laptop version of the library? I'm just wondering if indeed Update Library From Tags was used instead of Update Tags From Library.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »

:'( :'(You are correct. I mistakenly updated the library from tags instead of the other way around. Is there any way I can get my work back?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:15 pm »

Try Restoring your library to a previous version (File > Library > Restore Library).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up